Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: flashlights????

flashlights????

I know zip about flashlights for use with a handgun, especially home defense/nightstand applications. Ive used the search function here and manually gone back through postings but not found much discussion. I've looked at the Surefire website, http://www.surefire.com/illumination...rder=sort_size and gotten thoroughly confused.

These things are expensive enough, that I'd want to be able to use them in general flashlight applications, like figuring out which circuit breaker failed, where's that water splashing sound coming from in addition to what was that bump in the night?

How may lumens is enough - optimum? Given the above, wouldn't dual switch capability be desirable? Some of the switches seem more straightforward than others. Are there preferences and ways to avoid another cable TV box issue? What is it about conformation, shape, size, handleability that's desirable?

Tanks

I only buy Malkoff and Surefire flashlights.

My preferred switch is the two-stage switch where you press slightly for the low mode, and press fully for the high mode. I personally do not own any lights where you need to turn them on and off to change modes as I consider that one of the worst switching modes invented.

Some people will say that there is such a thing as 'too much' light, but I respectfully disagree. Especially when the light has multiple modes.

I would recommend that you buy the Surefire LX2 Ultra. Two-stage switch, nice low mode for checking the breaker box in the dark or saving battery life while doing day to day flashlight tasks, and then 500 lumens when you push the switch fully for blinding some assailant or what have you.

edit - okay, so it turns out Surefire never actually released the LX2 Ultra, shame on me for assuming they did. I use a normal LX2 with a modded head that gives 500 lumens.

The EB2 Backup with the tactical switch is almost exactly the same, I would recommend this instead.

As for using a flashlight with a handgun, I would strongly recommend buying a pistol-mounted light instead of using a handheld.
    Last edited by jellydonut; 09-09-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: surefire vaporware

I'm not sure I really follow...are you looking for a regular flashlight or a weapon light or what? Your purpose matters...

If you're looking for a pistol mounted weapon light for a nightstand gun, I don't see any reason not to get an x300. W/ regard to lumens, "enough to see" is all I really care about and the Surefire sure does that.

For general use, circuit breaker stuff (I assume you're not going to be using your pistol w/ attached light in this circumstance), I like G2's bought on sale. The batteries last ten years and they can serve as long gun lights in a pinch. I've got 'em all over the house.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    I'm not sure I really follow...are you looking for a regular flashlight or a weapon light or what? Your purpose matters...

If you're looking for a pistol mounted weapon light for a nightstand gun, I don't see any reason not to get an x300. W/ regard to lumens, "enough to see" is all I really care about and the Surefire sure does that.

For general use, circuit breaker stuff (I assume you're not going to be using your pistol w/ attached light in this circumstance), I like G2's bought on sale. The batteries last ten years and they can serve as long gun lights in a pinch. I've got 'em all over the house.
    Not looking for weapons mounted light. Idea that my light source is mounted on a gun and I'd be inadvertently pointing that at some unintended person in order to see whats what, suggests thats a bad idea. Read enough of the employment thread here, to think others recommend this and it makes sense to me.

Thanks Jellydonut, Ill check that one out.

I'm happy with both Streamlight and Surefire handhelds and WMLs. Neither have let me down. I lean towards the smaller handheld lights like this Streamlight.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm happy with both Streamlight and Surefire handhelds and WMLs. Neither have let me down. I lean towards the smaller handheld lights like this Streamlight.
    This.

I have an old (Laser Products marked) Surefire 6P with a KX4 head that is still kicking.

I also have both the Streamlight PT-1L and PT-2L.....a lot of light for the $$. For what it's worth, a couple of month ago I broke the lens out of my 2L, and Streamlight replaced it gratis.

I have been tempted to acquire one of the new Polytac lights with the ten-tap programming:

http://streamlight.com/en-us/product...t.html?pid=159

An earlier LED Polytac rides on my bride's 20 guage shotgun, but doesn't have lots of rounds through it.

I think there's such a thing as too much light. I've never seen a handheld light that's bright enough to stop someone from shooting in the direction of the light source. There are plenty of lights out there that are bright enough to affect the user's vision if shined on a white wall, mirror, etc, and bright enough to back light the user. I remember when a 60 lumen Surefire was the hot stuff. I'm glad we have brighter lights than that now, but some of it gets taken to excess.

I think the Surefire G2X tactical is one of their best "tactical" lights. It's simple and works, and it doesn't have a clicky tailcap to get activated accidentally.

For around the house stuff it's hard to beat a head lamp, both hands free and the lights always pointing the direction that you're head is facing. A G2x and a decent headlamp cost a lot less than Surefire's fancier offerings.

I received one of these as a freebie when I purchased some pants a while back; and it has proven to be one heck of a fine general-purpose pocket light. It has become my go-to around-the-house light. I have slowly been "converting" my general purpose flashlights to all AA-powered, since I no longer have access to free issued 123a batteries.

Anyway, another suggestion. FWIW, I have several SureFires and StreamLights (the three AA TaskLight is another excellent around-the-house light), but this one sees the most use these days.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-5302...FU9k7AoddVgAvA

My holy grail of flashlights needed the following features:
    Pocket clip
    Single CR123 Cell
    Forward Clicky - Momentary, Push (Constant On, Click)
    Strobe
    Multi-Mode Brightness
    Remembers Last Mode
    Fairly Easy To Program/Select Mode

What I found that I liked was lights with selector rings that were near the head of the light. There are a few lights that fit that bill. If that sounds like what you're looking for, check out brands like: Nitecore, Sunwayman, JetBeam

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I've been carrying one of those daily for probably 3-4 years now? Never had much problems other than I might suggest a little epoxy or JB weld to keep the clip from popping off. I lost a clip once.

For a true "EDC" use of the light, meaning, you use it a lot, I might actually like the AA version better than the Cr123 version. It's a little bit longer, a little smaller diameter, and of course I don't mind burning through AA batteries as much as CR123s. Its not quite as bright, but still very usable.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List