Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 rd Challenge with a revolver?

2000 rd Challenge with a revolver?

Having grown up with, and employing 1911's almost exclusively, I am woefully uninformed about the reliability of revolvers. I hear many anecdotal comments about revolver reliability and such. I probably have less than a case of ammo through various revolvers in the past 30 years. I've been told that as long as I keep my revolver clean, i wouldn't have any issues, but the challenge prohibits cleaning and lubrication. I am also particularly interested in the lock on the S&W's, as many people have stated is problematic

Looking through the 2000rd challenge and notice that no one tried with a revolver. Do you think that it's a no-brainer, or a "walk-in-the-park" for a quality pistol?

I'd say probably a walk in the park for a GP100 or 686 - might be a more of a challenge for a J-Frame, because after about 500 rounds my J-Frame starts to get a bit sticky.

I was actually just thinking this morning after reading the affordable 2000 round thread in Autos that someone should do an affordable revolver test, the Armscor 206 comes to mind, but it might better to do the review on an LCR and/or J-Frame.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    someone should do an affordable revolver test
    Sounds like a volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Sounds like a volunteer
    I'd be happy to do it, if someone will supply the gun and ammo...I have thought about buying an Armscor 206, because they use SF-VI Colt lockwork and D-Frame accessories (of which I have a number), but didn't get to it before I left Texas, so now it will have to wait.

I'd say I'd write it up and submit it to someone's blog, but that seems too much like work...

-Rob

I ran roughly 1200 rounds of 158 grain LSWC hand loads through my 4" model 12 before cleaning it. Even with fairly hard bullets it was pretty sticky by then. I'd say using a good jacketed or semi jacketed bullet would go 2000 with ease.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Dunno if it would make it without several cleanings. Maybe even need to break out a cylinder brush. As said above bullet type, powder type and caliber would all be factors to consider.

Did someone say "affordable revolver test?" And here I have a Taurus Model 82...just in the office. I guess I know what I'll be doing with that gun.

As to revos themselves, I've had multiple GP100s pass 2000 rounds with no maintenance whatsoever. My 929 is on its way pretty readily to 2000. My j-frame on the other hand won't get past 250 without needing some lubrication to keep the cylinder spinning. I have an SP101 on its way shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Did someone say "affordable revolver test?" And here I have a Taurus Model 82...just in the office. I guess I know what I'll be doing with that gun.

As to revos themselves, I've had multiple GP100s pass 2000 rounds with no maintenance whatsoever. My 929 is on its way pretty readily to 2000. My j-frame on the other hand won't get past 250 without needing some lubrication to keep the cylinder spinning. I have an SP101 on its way shortly.
    I'd say a test and compare of "affordable" revolvers would be a good test. Charter Arms, Taurus, Armscor? I'm past the point where I buy these guns for serious reasons, but I still know folks who prefer revolvers and may not necessarily be able to drop 3-4 bills on an SP101 or 4+ on a GP100 or Smith and wonder what are the decent recommendations in the sub-300 price range.

The Taurus 82 might go well against the Armscor M200? A cheap snubby test - Charter Arms Undercover, Armscor M206, Taurus 85, Rossi?

-Rob

Define "affordable". FLGS has a slightly used 642 for less than 4 bills.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

2000 rd Challenge with a revolver?

Do you think that it's a no-brainer, or a "walk-in-the-park" for a quality pistol?
    I think it is a good question, and if somebody wants to do a test for us, it doesn't have to be an economy revolver either.

I wonder if you were using .38 Special in a .357 Mag or .44 Special in a .44 Mag if you'd have more or less problems than using the full length round?

User Tag List