Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Affordable" pistol to test?

JHC- Great point- it is added to the list.

Suvorov- I will take that into consideration.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    I actually remember that article as well. Staying under the $350 range for something new is the challenge here. I appreciate all of the replies. So far here are what I see as the options:

1- Ruger 9E
    2- Ruger LC9
    3- Kahr ct9
    4-Canik 55 TP-9
    5- S&W SD9

I almost went with some 6906's I have access to, but like like I stated I'm looking for new guns only. After this test I will be going back to my G19, so I'm not looking for something to keep.

As far as holster options, I have a guy that's local and makes great stuff so that part is covered.

I was thinking of starting a training journal up as a way to help me stay accountable, as well as an overall review at the end of the 'test'. Reading the conversation in this thread does make me wonder if only a couple thousand rounds is really testing a heck of a lot, other than how my sample of one pistol performs. Still, it may be worth doing just to get myself to practice more frequently again.
    I like those choices. I think the 9e, SD9 and ct9 have me most interested...with the CT9 having me most interested. But I'd like to see what the SD9 with APEX parts is like...

If the SD9 is chosen, the first 2,000 rounds will be without any upgrades. I really want to see how it performs 'off the shelf'. After the 2,000 rounds I would be happy to shoot it a little longer with the Apex kit installed, not to mention I would have enough rounds through the gun at that point to truly appreciate the spring kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    If the SD9 is chosen, the first 2,000 rounds will be without any upgrades. I really want to see how it performs 'off the shelf'. After the 2,000 rounds I would be happy to shoot it a little longer with the Apex kit installed, not to mention I would have enough rounds through the gun at that point to truly appreciate the spring kit.
    SD9 would be a good data point.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Personally, I'd like to see how well the SD9 works.

S&W SD9
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I have seen a couple of Beretta Nano's popping up in the $300 range on Gunbroker. I suspect this may be an indication of the platform's future market viability, but would be interested to see how one performs in structured testing.

There are also the FMK striker fired pistols that show up in distributor channel from time to time; and seem to appeal to the folks that are trying to get a cheaper version of the Glock - not sure anyone has really wrung one of these out.

I also admit to curiosity if a Bersa BPCC would survive. Slim, single stack 9mm platforms are in high demand - and although it doesnt make a lot of sense to go with a less well regarded manufacturer when a Shield or similar can be acquired at relatively the same price point with a bit of shopping, I have seen it happen with some new buyers. Not sure if Bersa meets the threshold for your quality floor, however.

And I also agree that 2K rounds is a bit light for such testing, but it is at least a good datapoint as a start.

Quote Originally Posted by abu fitna View Post
    I have seen a couple of Beretta Nano's popping up in the $300 range on Gunbroker. I suspect this may be an indication of the platform's future market viability, but would be interested to see how one performs in structured testing.

There are also the FMK striker fired pistols that show up in distributor channel from time to time; and seem to appeal to the folks that are trying to get a cheaper version of the Glock - not sure anyone has really wrung one of these out.

I also admit to curiosity if a Bersa BPCC would survive. Slim, single stack 9mm platforms are in high demand - and although it doesnt make a lot of sense to go with a less well regarded manufacturer when a Shield or similar can be acquired at relatively the same price point with a bit of shopping, I have seen it happen with some new buyers. Not sure if Bersa meets the threshold for your quality floor, however.

And I also agree that 2K rounds is a bit light for such testing, but it is at least a good datapoint as a start.

A Bersa would be interesting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by abu fitna View Post
    True, 2000 rounds is less than a year for most on this board, but for the target audience that Sean O is looking at, it is probably as many rounds as the pistol will see its entire life time.

It really would be nice to identify a pistol for the average Joe who wants something inexpensive but reliable, easy to shoot, well built, and backed up by a reputable company.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    True, 2000 rounds is less than a year for most on this board, but for the target audience that Sean O is looking at, it is probably as many rounds as the pistol will see its entire life time.

It really would be nice to identify a pistol for the average Joe who wants something inexpensive but reliable, easy to shoot, well built, and backed up by a reputable company.
    This is exactly the information I'm hoping this test will provide. I am quickly shrinking my list down, with the S&W SD9 in the lead. Not only is it backed by a large and reputable company, but as stated earlier the fact it can also be purchased in CA (I live on the border of NV and CA) is a huge plus. This way people who get their out of state CCW can still purchase the *hopefully* recommended pistol over something of lesser quality.

User Tag List