Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Affordable" pistol to test?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by codisimo View Post
    What about the Canik 55 TP-9? J&G has them for $299. I haven't seen seen anyone write one up and I have been really curious about these as a possible car gun, because at the price I wouldn't be heart broken if it stolen. Actually thinking about it, any of the Canik guns would be a good test.
    I'm thinking along the same lines. As I recall SWAT magazine did a favorable write up on this pistol. It may very well be a well built gun. Unfortunately it will suffer from a lack of holster support and the mags and spare parts will dry up quickly once they stop importing them. But if someone is looking for a home defense or even carry gun (with the right holster) and really has to stay in the $300 range - these guns may offer a much better alternative to the High Points.

SR9-E

I actually kind of like it and think it's a great truck gun

Site Supporter
    PPX, sig pro, sig P250, or a CZ p07. Also, a 3rd gen smith or a ruger p95....please post the results, I'd love to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    PPX, sig pro, sig P250, or a CZ p07. Also, a 3rd gen smith or a ruger p95....please post the results, I'd love to see them.
    I don't know if anyone needs to test a 3rd Gen Smith or a P95 anymore. Both of them fall into the Boris The Bulletdodger's criteria for reliability, "Heavy is good, Heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit him with it."

A Sig P250, CZ P07, or the Kahr CT9 would be very cool, especially the CT9 that's a totally new gun and not a lot on it out there.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I'm thinking along the same lines. As I recall SWAT magazine did a favorable write up on this pistol. It may very well be a well built gun. Unfortunately it will suffer from a lack of holster support and the mags and spare parts will dry up quickly once they stop importing them. But if someone is looking for a home defense or even carry gun (with the right holster) and really has to stay in the $300 range - these guns may offer a much better alternative to the High Points.
    I actually remember that article as well. Staying under the $350 range for something new is the challenge here. I appreciate all of the replies. So far here are what I see as the options:

1- Ruger 9E
    2- Ruger LC9
    3- Kahr ct9
    4-Canik 55 TP-9
    5- S&W SD9

I almost went with some 6906's I have access to, but like like I stated I'm looking for new guns only. After this test I will be going back to my G19, so I'm not looking for something to keep.

As far as holster options, I have a guy that's local and makes great stuff so that part is covered.

I was thinking of starting a training journal up as a way to help me stay accountable, as well as an overall review at the end of the 'test'. Reading the conversation in this thread does make me wonder if only a couple thousand rounds is really testing a heck of a lot, other than how my sample of one pistol performs. Still, it may be worth doing just to get myself to practice more frequently again.

Site Supporter
    I would like to see the S&W SD9. APEX makes a spring kit for it. I see the SD9 for sale locally for about $280.

Could go a few directions.

The new M&P .22 compact will be a defensive pistol for some for special needs. See what it can do. My fav LGS had them listed for $329.

in 9mm, that SCCY CPX2 9mm pistol sells for under $300 could be ok or could be not. If not, they'll probably send you a new one.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Could go a few directions.

The new M&P .22 compact will be a defensive pistol for some for special needs. See what it can do. My fav LGS had them listed for $329.

in 9mm, that SCCY CPX2 9mm pistol sells for under $300 could be ok or could be not. If not, they'll probably send you a new one.

I thought about the SCCY, I only hesitate because someone much more qualified than me is testing one now.

Also, 9mm is what I have the easiest access to or else I would definitely have a few more options.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post
    I thought about the SCCY, I only hesitate because someone much more qualified than me is testing one now.

Also, 9mm is what I have the easiest access to or else I would definitely have a few more options.
    Your's could be a good adjunct to his. I don't think he's into 2000 rd tests or scads of our popular measured drills found on TLG's blog page. Just sayin'
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I would like to see the S&W SD9. APEX makes a spring kit for it. I see the SD9 for sale locally for about $280.
    The added bonus here would be the SD9 will be one of the few Smiths available to Kalifornians come the new year. Good info for us behind enemy lines to have.

User Tag List