Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Affordable" pistol to test?

"Affordable" pistol to test?

Long story short: I'm burnt out and looking for something to encourage more consistent practice, along with more meticulous note taking. I am thinking of doing a quick 2,000 round test on an "affordable" pistol. Reasons listed from least logical to most:

1- I'm constantly getting told by CCW students how they couldn't 'justify' the extra $100 for an M&P over their new and perfect Taurus. Would be nice to have a better option at the same price.
    2- Reasons stated in the opening sentences. There is no real reason I couldn't just crack down on practice with my G19.
    3- Because.

What I'm looking for:

1- 9mm preferably
    2- Street price under $350
    3- Not Taurus or Kel-tec. Looking for *decent* QC minimum. Thankfully, Hi-Point has already been done, so that's out

Current contenders:

1- Ruger 9E ($330)
    2- S&W SD9 ($308)

I'm looking for more options, and want to stick to something that can be bought new since for some reason telling someone a used Glock is better than a new Kel-tec is akin to drop kicking their 5 pound dog over the fence.

I know this isn't logical, just something I want to do. Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sean,
    The FNS-9 might be worth checking out, although it's $100 more.

Mine passed the 2000 round challenge just fine, but is exhibiting some extraction problems with Speer Lawman and Gold Dot at the 2,800 round mark. I hope it's just an anomaly, since the 20 & 25 yard accuracy is simply superb.

Anyways, here's the link if you're interested in picking one up.

http://grabagun.com/fnh-66929-fns-9-pistol.html

There are some good deals on the CZ P07 right now.

Site Supporter
    New SIG SP2022's can be had for $399 around here.

A Ruger P 95 could be interesting.

I snagged a trade in 5946 DAO for myself at $300. They took off $50, how could I refuse?

SD9 is what I'd suggest.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Tam has put 1,000+ rounds through a Walther PPX and says it runs well. Its documented on her blog. I've seen them for under $400. Any other pistols I can think of in that price range are much smaller. I think the Walther CCP is also supposed to have a very low price, but I don't know what it will be available. You could roll the dice and see if Remington gets the second iteration of the R51 right. LCRs and Airweight J-frames are around $400, but probably ill-suited for the test you have in mind.

"Affordable" pistol to test?

How about the Ruger LC9s? Street price under $350 but not including taxes.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    What about the Canik 55 TP-9? J&G has them for $299. I haven't seen seen anyone write one up and I have been really curious about these as a possible car gun, because at the price I wouldn't be heart broken if it stolen. Actually thinking about it, any of the Canik guns would be a good test.

User Tag List