Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Through Hardening Matters

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Hows the breech face look?
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Glock did have some trouble with guns issued to DOE contractors because they used some crappy metal. I was at a class with some DOE guys from Wackenhutt that had been issued G22 pistols which failed in almost every conceivable way during the 5 days of our course.
    3/15/2016

Apparently everyone is sending Bill their crappiest guns lately. I almost want to send him a Hi-Point.

I'm gonna send him a Beretta in a few weeks, hopefully that doesn't lead to pics like the last few threads.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I suspect a bad billet. Which happens. The locking surface shows 0.003" setback/peening.

I'm going to build up the area with nickel filler and re-machine it. Because I can. And the loser that owned it literally cried when I showed it to him, and seeing grown men in tactical beards cry is horrible. Demi god my ass.

FWIW, the sandblaster did the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    FWIW, the sandblaster did the damage.
    Bill, please don't leave us hanging - bead blaster did it? or bb stripped finish that was masking? or?

I've read many times that the Tennifer finish treatment is very hard but once compromised, their metal is not. Truth or fiction?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

So is there a reason he could not send it back to Glock (along with an eye test chart for their workers and inspectors)?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Not sure you can though harden pot metal...

Jeep - its not modern QC - it is entirely a materials issue, their ME guys need to revisit what to make a slide from - sure crap is fast to cut, but 17-4 Stainless last a tad longer.

I want to make a slide out of Inconel.
    I would not want to make a slide out of Inconel. The Nickel content makes it gummy and not a very good material from a tribological perspective, at least in every grade I have seen in use. However, it has great oxidation resistance and strength at temperatures that turn Carbon Steel into Play-Dough. I guess you could coat it with some voodoo special coating from Bill to improve its properties.......

Perhaps Bill will correct me.... I have never tried to make something work with it below a thousand degrees F or so.

User Tag List