Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Sometimes you have to learn the hard way about gear for training

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Another topic that comes up with these wounds is packing. Historically, almost every skin abscess that got drained received some form of packing. Many people were brought back 48 hours after the first packing to have there wound re-packed. The idea is to keep the cavity open to facilitate drainage until the wound can epithelialize and heal from the bottom up. Fortunately, the medical evidence has become clear that packing a cutaneous abscess is rarely necessary and re-packing is never needed in wounds that got adequate initial drainage with a generous incision. The pain of packing and re packing is no joke. In fact, I see many wounds where the packing is hindering drainage because too much was used and the incision too small. If used, packing should never be so tight as to put pressure on the walls of the abscess cavity. In other wounds, packing is not a substitute to wimpy, small incisions or inadequate exploration/deloculation.

Here is a great alternative to packing called penrose loop drainage: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct4cMi5w81k

I use this technique over traditional packing for large abscesses where I fear premature closure and re-accumulation.
    Seriously, I have to pile on with everyone else, and say that I am really enjoying the knowledge you're carpet-bombing here.

What a great read. I
    Have loved all this medical
    Info I find it so interesting just wish I was smart enough to be in a job like that but I can't even spell kat or write a sentence that is correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List