Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Polishing a turd

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Were all those imperfections apparent with the factory poly coat, or were they filled in by the factory finish treatment?
    I didn't notice them, or the cracked frame before they ruined my first plating bath.

Killed any CZ interest I might have had !

How would a 1911 design to take HK45 or HK P30 mags be ?
    Just dreaming.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I guess the question could be asked whether any of these issues are likely to affect the functional aspects of the gun.

Granted I'd still be pissed off, but less so if it was an ugly but functional piece than if it was an ugly and functionally deficient piece.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    What he said.
    I also agree with Misanthropist. However, this might explain why I've thought the coating on my CZ was suspiciously thick. But this sample of one isn't going to make me sell it.

Plus, I don't send my guns out to be refinished, so the issue the OP had isn't a concern to me.

Out of curiosity, if you strip the coating off a client's gun and then find out it won't take your high-speed finish, what happens next? You just send it back in the white and say 'sorry'?

Quote Originally Posted by Pup town View Post
    Out of curiosity, if you strip the coating off a client's gun and then find out it won't take your high-speed finish, what happens next? You just send it back in the white and say 'sorry'?
    It looks to me like your question is answered in the OP: he puts himself $1000 in the hole getting it done as well as it could be done. Reading is fundamental, ask any librarian.
    "I don't want to be lorded over by a Bible thumping theocrat any more than a frappa-lappa-mocha chino sipping hoplophobic statist."-FredM

My bad, it's in post #5.
    "I don't want to be lorded over by a Bible thumping theocrat any more than a frappa-lappa-mocha chino sipping hoplophobic statist."-FredM

The pitting..... sucks. CZ thinks its OK to paint and ship, apparently. This is the risk we take when we buy and its the risk a 'smith takes when endeavoring to refinish. The sight dovetail in the slide breaking through is uncool - if I'm seeing that right. And/but what about the cracks? These are different. We don't have the whole story of the history of this pistol. Based on what we can see, if I were the owner I'd be thinking of a conversation with CZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Pup town View Post
    I also agree with Misanthropist. However, this might explain why I've thought the coating on my CZ was suspiciously thick. But this sample of one isn't going to make me sell it.

Plus, I don't send my guns out to be refinished, so the issue the OP had isn't a concern to me.

I just spent a bunch of time and money doing exactly the opposite of that. Was the guys first gun, and he was attached to it. So I didn't want to be a total dick about it. My frustration came from the never ending "Is it done yet?".

Note to self - If I send Bill R a gun - Do not send him a pile of cast junk and then constantly ask him if it is finished.

-Rob

I am not sure why this particular gun is in such bad condition.
    I have been very happy with the quality and workmanship on my CZ's.
    The external conditions have always been excellent.

I did break the spring box on one after more than 10,000 rounds (and probably too light a recoil spring), but CZ custom replaced the whole upper and barrel.

I just got my P01 Compact L (SDP) and it is flawless.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List