Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 870 fore end LOCKED on...

870 fore end LOCKED on...

I got a Magpul fore end for my 870, an older Wingmaster I got off a guy in a divorce sale. It's in great shape, but the castle nut will not budge. I've been soaking it in WD40 for about 18 hours now, and even using the plastic wrench that came with the Magpul, it is still locked on. I actually shredded a good portion of the wrench trying to make it budge.

Any other tips or suggestions if you've run into the same thing?

You need the heavy duty steel armorers wrench available from Brownells. Never had one I couldn't get off with that thing.

WD-40 sucks for most things. Try soaking in Kroil, Liquid Wrench, or oil of wintergreen (good stuff!).
    #RESIST

I'll second the recommendation for the armorer's wrench. If you can, clamp the forend in a vise. If it's a wood forend, too much WD40 will cause the wood to swell and make your problem worse. You can try putting it in the freezer for an hour and see if loosens things up.

Edited: If you don't have a vise, it's very easy to distort the action bars, and new parts will be in your future.
    Last edited by pablo; 09-02-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    WD-40 sucks for most things. Try soaking in Kroil, Liquid Wrench, or oil of wintergreen (good stuff!).
    Ah, another WD-40 hater! My experience, though, is quite different. The only thing that I have found WD-40 to be poor at is for something it isn't designed for--a long term lubricant. I routinely use it to loosen up rusted nuts and it generally does a better job that liquid wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Ah, another WD-40 hater! My experience, though, is quite different. The only thing that I have found WD-40 to be poor at is for something it isn't designed for--a long term lubricant. I routinely use it to loosen up rusted nuts and it generally does a better job that liquid wrench.
    Kroil and oil of wintergreen are amazing penetrating oils. I actually get excellent results with oil of wintergreen for patching carbon out of barrels.
    #RESIST

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    If Kroil and the metal armorer's wrench can't do it, it can't be done.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Is "Karamba" available in the US?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by T.Stahl View Post
    Is "Karamba" available in the US?
    I'm not familiar with it. Off to Google!
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

You got Warsteiner, Bitburger, Andechs, Ritter Sport, Nutella...
    You must have Karamba, unless it contains something the EPA hates.

User Tag List