Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I like Glock pistols (when out moose hunting)

Those are gorgeous photos. How cold was the water?

MDS, the rifles mostly stay in waterproof cases, strapped to the inflatable canoe, except when we are actively hunting. Too much water coming in and out of the boat, and other than Astro and ourselves, we try to strap stuff down, so we wouldn't lose it if we had a mishap. Without the boat, we aren't getting back to our float plane, so we have rescue gear including a sat phone, 406 PLB, fire starting stuff and food/water with us. When we are cutting up the animal, like this moose in the water, the rifles would be out of hand and away, so it is a pistols proposition for bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Beautiful!
    Two quick questions:
    1. Have you ever test fired that Glock with all that gunk on/in it to make sure it would've work if needed?
    2. 600 lbs is a lot of meat. What is the cargo weight capacity of your plane?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    The gunk only stays on the pistol for a while, as I rinse it with water out of the stream. It should run, it is a Glock! Incidentally, both my wife and I are Gadget testers, and water/grit has no effect on the function of the Gadget, besides giving it a squirt of lube after we get back to the cabin.

Useful load on wheels is 1,500 pounds and 1,300 on floats. Light in gas and other gear, we were able to get out in one load. A bigger moose takes two loads.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Is that a 182 or a 185? You got a Super Cub too?

That is a 206 on floats. A Cub or Husky is great to spot from, but not so much fun sleeping in the tent on the beach with all those bears around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Those are gorgeous photos. How cold was the water?
    Colder in the lake and stream, as glaciers partly feed the inlet water to an upper lake, and warmer in back sloughs where the moose often hang out. In any event, it would be unhappy to fall in the water and be there long.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Not nearly as cool or pretty of a location, but at work I have been in the water with my duty G17 enough times to lose track. Once spent the entire night pushing a John boat around a neighborhood evacuating elderly folks and small kids from waist-to-chest deep flood water.

It's nice having gear that you don't have to worry about.

This is deserving of a detailed blog write up.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Chuck: You have just summed up in one sentence, perhaps the most single important consideration in deciding which tool (including which gun) to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Chuck: You have just summed up in one sentence, perhaps the most single important consideration in deciding which tool (including which gun) to use.
    I've had guns soaked quite a few times between hunting in the rain, rafting, or just shooting in the rain. Getting an old school wood stocked lever action soaked requires another level of remedial PM than an AR. And Glocks can be easily torn down and dried or cleaned out. OTOH I've got a training designated G17 I've put up wet a few times just to see how it faired and I really couldn't see any difference as when I took the effort to dry and clean it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

That is a 206 on floats. .
    Ah. I thought the vertical stab was different, but attributed it to a float mod. Didn't think about the 206.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

Those attributes of a pistol are very much more endearing to me than magnificent finish or precision fitted forged steel parts of legendary lineage. I was just reminded of that by the reference to another thread about the romance of some guns instilling passion to shoot them. Performance inspires my passion to shoot them.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Those attributes of a pistol are very much more endearing to me than magnificent finish or precision fitted forged steel parts of legendary lineage. I was just reminded of that by the reference to another thread about the romance of some guns instilling passion to shoot them. Performance inspires my passion to shoot them.
    +1. Maybe +1000.

GJM,

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!

You are not helping me out deciding if a 4" Redhawk or a 10MM Glock replaces my .45 Blackhawk as my bring to Alaska gun.

Ken

User Tag List