Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Vision and Sights

Poor Vision and Sights

I am attempting to find a set of iron sights to compensate for a loss of vision. I have tried Big Dots, and Tru-Glo TFOs. Both systems work to a degree. Both systems are far from ideal. I am familiar with the Ameri-Glo Hackathorn sights. I have ordered a set of Speed Sights. Are there any other sights that I should be looking at? I am not yet sold on the RMR setup and would prefer to try and find a iron sight solution.

We are diminished
    Trijicon HD. Similar concept to the Hackathorn/i-dot but with some refinements that have proven better, at least for me. I don't have poor vision, though, so that assessment is based on factors that may not apply to your situation.

ToddG,

What refinements?

Ranburr,

When you figure it out, let me know.

I can't see shelling out $700 to try a RDS setup. That is lot of practice ammo and a Hackathorn or HD setup.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by grimel View Post
    What refinements?
    The big one for me -- which I had to have pointed out to me, didn't figure this out on my own -- is that the Hack dot doesn't quite fit fully inside the i-dot rear notch. The bottom edge of the dot has to get buried out of sight to align the top edges. For me, that led to breaking fast shots when I had the dot touching the bottom of the rear notch (sending shot high). The Trij HD sights don't have this issue.

The Big Dot did not work for me. This helps: http://pistol-training.com/articles/...ty-front-sight. The Trij HD is good. I liked the TFO's, but they broke--a lot. I have not tried these, but some officers around here report success with them: http://www.speedsights.com/. Ultimately, the best option for me has been a slide mounted RDS...
    Last edited by DocGKR; 07-15-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The big one for me -- which I had to have pointed out to me, didn't figure this out on my own -- is that the Hack dot doesn't quite fit fully inside the i-dot rear notch. The bottom edge of the dot has to get buried out of sight to align the top edges. For me, that led to breaking fast shots when I had the dot touching the bottom of the rear notch (sending shot high). The Trij HD sights don't have this issue.
    Ah HA! That's the first time I fully understood your issue with them. I didn't realize the short rear crowded the Hack front. This is the advantage of the Warren rear with the .220 tall Hack front. Taller Warren rear has plenty of room for the full front post in all its glory.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Speed Sights

I've had them on two pistols, could not get used to them. I really found them too busy with the rear diamonds.

The orange diamond fades/dulls out after cleaning the g/s residue off and the triji info on the sides with date of install literally wiped off while cleaning with BreakFree CLP. Just my experience.

I'd just bite the bullet and get the RMR with backup irons.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd just bite the bullet and get the RMR with backup irons.
    Great recommendation by both you and Doc.

Picture of sight picture...I can use this without glasses or contacts and i have horrible vision.

Chemist.

Just not sold on the RMR concept. Planning on taking a Suarez course in Sep that may change my mind.

User Tag List