Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 Magazines

Beretta 92 Magazines

I'm looking for serious feedback on Beretta 17 round or Mec Gar 18 round magazines. Anybody using either of them? I'm always interested in more ammo on board, but not at the cost of reliability.

In order of preference:

1) MecGar 18

2) OEM PVD

3) everything else.

Ernest Langdon and Bill Wilson concur on MecGar.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Mec-Gar 18 round "Optimum" mags are excellent. When it comes to the Beretta 92/M9, as long as you stick to Mec-Gar, Beretta, or the currently available (2010 production) Check-Mate Industries magazines, you are fine.

I get all my 92 mags from Midway, BTW. I haven't found anyone that can beat their prices and service.

GregCoteLLC hits it out of the park on selection, service and price.

http://www.gregcotellc.com/cart/inde...roducts_id=574

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'm looking for serious feedback on Beretta 17 round or Mec Gar 18 round magazines. Anybody using either of them? I'm always interested in more ammo on board, but not at the cost of reliability.
    I have both. I prefer the MG. I like the extra round, the finish and the base pad is lower profile. They both function 100%.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    MecGar or bust. The 17 round factory mags which ship with the Beretta 92A1 are a close second, followed by the PVD M9A1 type.

CheckMate mags are training articles only, as far as I'm concerned. Every time my Berettas closed on an empty chamber , it was with a CheckMate GI spec mag. No malfunctions with any of the Beretta or MecGar offerings, and given that they're about half the price of HK mags I'd not even consider any other option.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

The 18 round MecGars are my number one choice, they're excellent. So far I've fired around six thousand rounds through six of them without an issue. I have six of the Checkmate mags and every single one failed to lock the slide back on empty, right out of the wrap. I installed Wolff springs and they work fine now, but I won't buy any more and these are all current production. MecGar's are primary for me with OEM Beretta mags as a second choice.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The 18 round MecGars are my number one choice, they're excellent. So far I've fired around six thousand rounds through six of them without an issue. I have six of the Checkmate mags and every single one failed to lock the slide back on empty, right out of the wrap. I installed Wolff springs and they work fine now, but I won't buy any more and these are all current production. MecGar's are primary for me with OEM Beretta mags as a second choice.
    I like MecGars, but I have had no problems at all with current Checkmate magazines, and if I'm going to drop magazines, I'd rather do it with a $15 magazine than a $25 one. Still, your report makes me pause. I wonder why the difference in performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I like MecGars, but I have had no problems at all with current Checkmate magazines, and if I'm going to drop magazines, I'd rather do it with a $15 magazine than a $25 one. Still, your report makes me pause. I wonder why the difference in performance?
    $10

Kidding aside, if Ben Stoeger, Ernest Langdon and Bill Wilson all use the 18 round MecGar, that is good enough for me. Plus, my experience with them has been excellent, after following their lead.

Wilson Combat sells the MecGar on their website and says this:

You’ll gain super reliability and additional round capacity with these high quality replacement Beretta® 92-series magazines.

These completely re-engineered magazines fit and function better than any factory magazine and meet or exceed all military specifications. Tempered steel tube treated with a black, anti-friction coating ensures drop-free operation and smooth feeding in extreme duty environments. Enhanced spring and anti-tilt, self-lubricating nylon follower feeds every type of bullet profile flawlessly. Witness holes in the rear side on both models provide visual round count.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    My thinking ran along the same lines. Continually dropping mags on asphalt and concrete is hard on plastic base pads. I bought the Checkmates with the idea that a steel floorplate will be more durable and they are, as well as cheaper overall cost. However, the springs failed to lock the slide back every time. The needed spring replacement puts them in the range of the OEM mags in terms of price. The springs were noticeably weaker than the MecGars or Beretta mags. I'm a fan of Checkmate 1911 magazines, but not so much with these.

The MecGars really are excellent magazines as expected. I also have a couple of the 20 rounders and I'm very pleased with them.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List