Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Gray VP9 Trigger Work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik the Greek View Post
    I respect the work done at Gray Guns, but given that I haven't heard word one about this issue over the course of weeks of semi-obsessive reading about the VP9, range reports, reviews, 2000 round challenges etc., I reluctantly came to the same suspicion.

The VP9 really doesnt need trigger work. At all. Mine doesn't anyway.

The only one I have fired belongs to a friend and had to have the trigger worked on by a Gunsmith when new. Trigger was bad out of the box. The trigger is much better now and I shot a slow fire 15 round group at 25 yards about the same as I shoot my Gen 4 G34 Glock.

GJM, I think there's an important distinction to be made between Lee's work and this situation. The APEX parts emerged as a response to a widely reported and verifiable problem that hundreds if not thousands of users were experiencing. While there's a possibility that this will end up being an issue for the VP9, it is definitely *not* being reported as one until now. That casts a negative light on the language that's being used here, when the presented solution seems to be for a perceived issue that may or may not actually exist. It also potentially begins the rumor mill of "oh, so I heard there's a problem with the VP9", when such a problem hasn't previously been reported.

JB, what was wrong with that example's trigger? Did you ever find out what the smith did?

Did you ever find out what the smith did?
    And what "smith"? Somebody local? Please… don't tell me Eduardo…

GJM, I think there's an important distinction to be made between Lee's work and this situation. The APEX parts emerged as a response to a widely reported and verifiable problem that hundreds if not thousands of users were experiencing. While there's a possibility that this will end up being an issue for the VP9, it is definitely *not* being reported as one until now. That casts a negative light on the language that's being used here, when the presented solution seems to be for a perceived issue that may or may not actually exist. It also potentially begins the rumor mill of "oh, so I heard there's a problem with the VP9", when such a problem hasn't previously been reported.

JB, what was wrong with that example's trigger? Did you ever find out what the smith did?
    Perhaps chicken versus egg, but consider the following. Did Randy Lee develop his parts because hundreds or thousands of folks reported crappy triggers, or did Randy simply look at the design and think "I can do better?" At the end if the day, does it matter what the motivation was.

As to this issue, Bruce will turn out to be right or wrong. Us speculating as to the outcome now is just that -- speculation. I think we are better off for him to speculate about a potential problem and be wrong, then to notice a possible problem and be silent. Slightly different, but if I was the developmental test pilot for Boeing, I would much rather err in the side of caution, than assume Boeing (or HK or whoever) has the best engineers are, and must be right with the original design!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    And what "smith"? Somebody local? Please… don't tell me Eduardo…

It was purchased and repaired at Jim's Firearms and I am under the impression the gunsmith that did the work was Savant.

It was very gritty before the break and felt as if the trigger spring was catching on something then it would jump and release.
    I dry fired it before it was repaired and shot it after the repair and it was much better. The owner was told they fixed the trigger. If I learn more I will post here.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    It was purchased and repaired at Jim's Firearms and I am under the impression the gunsmith that did the work was Savant.
    Okay. I'll ask Brian next time I see him.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't know Bruce Gray, but a number of these comments seem unfair to a guy, whose shop represents the gold standard in trigger work on Sig and HK pistols.
    I agree with that. I don't think its cool to accuse him of making things up for profit because he criticized your favorite brand.
    Last edited by Stephen; 08-30-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Maybe this is related to Gray Guns findings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le-q6IHMGqI

Several VP9 users on a couple boards have said their guns will do this and Larry Vickers posted in one of those discussions that his pistol did this and it worried him but when it didn't manifest in live fire, he disregarded it. But it may indicate a gun set up on the very limits of its envelope for functioning. Other users have posted on the big HK board that they've sent their gun back to HK for a reset that required the full release of the trigger. Good news is that HK CS sounds incredibly responsive with fast turnarounds. Clearly its not all guns as most report a pretty good trigger and pretty good reset.

There are just not that many guns out there or that many rounds downrange yet. It took a few months and a lot of guns in 2010 before the Gen 4 G17 feces hit the fan. Then many people argue the point that some of those problems wouldn't crop up until north of 3K rounds. I had a hard time believing at first since our early 17s and 19s ran great and still do but when very knowledgeable folks - like some members of PF and others confirmed it . . . there was something wrong.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

As I understand it Mr. Gray was furnished a gun by a customer to examine and determine how to make the trigger better. Jeez....this is what Bruce does for a living....figure out how to make a platform perform to its full potential. Of course he is going to exploit a problem if he has a fix, who wouldn't given his job description.

User Tag List