Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Gray VP9 Trigger Work.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Or, that he's a businessman and sees an opportunity.
    until I hear reports of VP's failing in owners hands this is what I'm thinking. In order to stay busy a person has to find new things for people to spend their money on and sometimes that ends up being a fix for a problem that doesn't exist.

The more I read about this (here and on the SigForum thread that started it all), the more I think you may have hit it straight on the head with that supposition.

I guess we won't know about long term reliability this early but with 2300rds through mine so far with no additional lubrication there have been zero issues. Going to run another 700rds in the next couple of weeks and see how it looks. There is very little visible wear even on the barrel hood.

Performance wise, I don't see a lot of difference between the Gen4 G17 and the VP9. Quite frankly, my CGW P07 is still my main carry gun and I seem to be able to shoot it a little bit quicker and more accurately on FAST drills and Dot Torture. Honestly however I have been concentrating on shooting TDA pistols for the last year.

Based on HK's obvious high level of engineering expertise, my assumption would be that HK weighed where costs could be cut without compromising reliability using some variant of an FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis) process, and then tested their assumptions rigorously.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    The more I read about this (here and on the SigForum thread that started it all), the more I think you may have hit it straight on the head with that supposition.

I have no bone to pick with anyone at that site and don't know anything about GG really, but that's a nice business for a pistolsmith, selling that "needed" part along with installation work as part of a package.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Spr1 View Post
    Based on HK's obvious high level of engineering expertise, my assumption would be that HK weighed where costs could be cut without compromising reliability using some variant of an FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis) process, and then tested their assumptions rigorously.
    Ok.... Don't they all do that?

I don't know Bruce Gray, but a number of these comments seem unfair to a guy, whose shop represents the gold standard in trigger work on Sig and HK pistols.

We applauded Randy Lee for bringing out Apex parts for the M&P trigger/extractor, and again for his Glock extractor. Presumably Randy was motivated by bringing out better parts and making a profit. Why shouldn't we also applaud Bruce for the same kind of initiative for something for the VP9, as he did with the P series extractor? If the part is unnecessary, don't put it in.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I respect the work done at Gray Guns, but given that I haven't heard word one about this issue over the course of weeks of semi-obsessive reading about the VP9, range reports, reviews, 2000 round challenges etc., I reluctantly came to the same suspicion.

The VP9 really doesnt need trigger work. At all. Mine doesn't anyway.

I don't own an HK, so I don't have a dog in this fight. But in my estimation the gun is just too new for anyone to know what foibles it has, if any. Until we can get reliable reports of folks running five figure round counts through their pistols, its just supposition . Bruce Gray may be right, and he may not be. Well find out in a few months' time.

At the risk of going OT, I'm a believer in the principle that no wise consumer should buy the first version of ANY product . Guns, cars, electronics, etc, even the best firms make mistakes in the first batch of product .
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    From my perspective, HK has done a fine job with the VP9 introduction. I can't remember a manufacturer doing a better intro, especially a manufacturer with HK's reputation for being unable to sell free sex.
    Hk has always had sold out intros with people gushing about them. As they've always had a very vocal motivated fan base. It is the long term market that Hk has always had trouble getting. The question is, will Hks intro sell enough that they actually will be a serious player than their usual "also ran" status.

User Tag List