Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Claude Werner & 1,000 Days of Dry Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful John View Post
    Thanks, Guys.

What I gather is that the Claude Werner 1,000 day dry fire program is the NRA Defensive Pistol Qualification I (followed by II) performed daily for very nearly 3 years. Special thanks to Wheeler for the link.
    Glad to be of assistance. I spent a long time trying to prove Claude wrong only to find out he's right most of the time. :-/
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Probably more practical and achievable than 1,000 days of sex.
    Yes.
    Very much so...

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Cheaper too.
    I broke springs in my j frame twice and needed gunsmithing on the hand and cylinder star...

But still...

Yes. It was cheaper.

It's not any particular drill or set of drills. Rather, it's the commitment to do dryfire each and every day, without fail, for 1000 straight days. If you miss a day, you have to start again at the beginning.

I was inspired to do it about 12 years ago by a friend who was working on his Yoga instructor certification. He had to do 1000 days straight of meditation. I thought that was cool, so I decided to do it with dryfire. Paul Sharp and I decided to do it, first time for him, second for me, earlier this year. We'll be done at the end of 2016.

The reason there's not one drill or set of drills is to avoid boredom. I regularly change up my regimen. Run different qual courses dryfire, practice bullseye shooting, run the NRA Defensive Pistol I & II, etc. It doesn't matter. I make different targets and reduced size target arrays from time to time to change things up, as well. Notice I have the 10-8 reduced size circle in my array for now.

The first time, when I was at the gf's house, I'd do it while taking a dump by aiming my snub at the tile intersections. She finally figured out what I was doing and had me set up a little dryfire range in the spare bedroom.

The important thing is do something every single day, even if it's just a little. My last trigger press is never more than 24 hours in the past.

ETA: The NRA Defensive Pistol program that Gabby mentioned was a different part of my presentation to GeorgiaCarry. I wanted to provide the attendees with some kind of program when they went to the range instead of just jerking off the way 999/1000 people do at an indoor range. It drives me crazy watching people waste their time just blasting 50 holes in a silhouette at 5 yards and then them thinking they accomplished something. I gave a lesson today to a lady who had been doing all her practicing at ONE yard. When I had her shoot a few shots at a B-27 at 7 yards, she put the rounds into the ceiling baffle plates. That's more typical than gun people like to admit. So I wanted the GCO folks to have some kind of structured program for their live fire, not dryfire.
    Last edited by HeadHunter; 08-31-2014 at 11:20 PM.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

BTW, those are my eye labels on the left target. I print them on clear 1x4 labels to give me an aiming point on headshots.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    BTW, those are my eye labels on the left target. I print them on clear 1x4 labels to give me an aiming point on headshots.
    An excellent tip, thank you for sharing that.

Thanks, Headhunter. Yours is an actionable post and expands the dry fire training syllabus in useful ways. I'm grateful.

Here's an update that I posted to my blog. I'm doing a dryfire version of the FAM Tactical Pistol Course.
    Not only does doing a different regimen help but the mental exercise of figuring out what to do is fun also.

http://wp.me/p4ukPJ-kUg

If anyone is interested, I started a Facebook Group for 1000 Days of Dryfire. https://www.facebook.com/groups/840798816011987/ We share drills and things we learn from doing our daily dryfire. It's not necessary to make the 1000 day commitment to join, just see dryfire as having some value in our practice.

A dryfire version of the LAPD Bonus Course is my latest addition to the 1000 Days courses I use. The targets are scaled for 7 feet. They print on legal size paper. I put the file on a flash drive and print it at FedEx Office. Mounted on a piece of posterboard from Dollar Tree.

Name:  LAPD Bonus Range.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  16.5 KBName:  LAPD Bonus Course Dryfire.png
Views: 635
Size:  33.3 KB

User Tag List