Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today's blood boiler...

Today's blood boiler...

Wow, feel bad bringing this cloud of hate on such a nice Friday before a long weekend but, dayum!

So who were these militias in need of regulation? In the South, they were called "slave patrols," and they were paramilitary groups that regularly patrolled slave plantations to make sure restive slaves weren't going to rise up against their white overlords. Remember the line in the movie "Django Unchained"? Leonardo DiCaprio wonders: "Why don't they just rise up and kill the whites?" It was a real question, and the answer was that "well-regulated militias" in the Southern states kept the slaves in check.

Patrick Henry, George Mason and James Madison knew, as they considered the Second Amendment, that it would be essential if they hoped to get the Southern states to ratify the brand-new U.S. Constitution. It was designed to keep these states on board.
    Now the narrative is that the 2nd amendment was created to bolster slave-catching militia? Uhm...

None of these assholes read "The Federalist Papers" or any of the writings of the leaders of the Revolution of 1776.
    Tire of revisionist poor scholarship !!!

That's one of the most revolting bits of revisionist history that I have seen in quite awhile.

Site Supporter
    Wow! Just wow. Here's a bunch of guys who'd just risked their lives, and the lives of their families to overthrow a tyrannical government by force of arms, yet that can't possibly be what the Second Amendment is about? Even if you haven't read the Federalists papers (free on Gutenberg by the way) or Ben Franklin's autobiography, you've surely heard about that little fracas round about 1776.
    I just don't accept the ignorance argument. At best, it's willful self deception. And this kitten about slavery just came out of thin air, or somebody's posterior orifice.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Not even original work as this tripe revisionist theory was dragged up a year or two ago.

Nice that a poetry professor can however be considered an expert on constructional history and law.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'd heard that the "Well-Regulated Militias" referred to Hitler's SA Stormtroopers, and they only included it in the BoR because they were afraid they couldn't ratify without the Bavarian GOP vote.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I meant constitutional not constructional.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I'd heard that the "Well-Regulated Militias" referred to Hitler's SA Stormtroopers, and they only included it in the BoR because they were afraid they couldn't ratify without the Bavarian GOP vote.
    Well it was the Freikorp actually, but they at least were able to block the baby-eating and daffodil-stomping amendments from getting into the final version.

I did waste my time and send a nasty note to the author as well as the president of the university he works for. Won't do much, but sure felt good!

I don't know if this makes my blood boil. More so, it makes me weep at how wide spread the ignorance of our founding principles actually is. The Founding Fathers were very intentional in their creation of this country and looked way back into history to draw lessons. IIRC, Machiavelli's writings on the value of the militia were hugely influential on the Founding Fathers and had nothing to do with slavery.

This reeks of making an absurd claim just to plant in the back of people's minds and then daring others to defend it. If you defend it you're automatically a racist. (Who was it that said a "racist" is anyone winning an argument with a liberal?)
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

America is becoming unrecognizable.
    The long term plan of state controlled education is now coming to fruition. I hope a leader emerges who can articulate why certain policies are important.
    We need to start thinking long term or it will be a dark future. The left is winning.

User Tag List