Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt Rifle build Help requested

Site Supporter
    I have a Hog Hunter as well.

When I get back to my home computer, I'll post up a couple links with interesting info regarding stocks and such. There are a lot of good options. Other than not having a removable magazine and being a touch on the heavy side, I like mine as it is. The stock is kind of chintzy, but it works. I bought it for the open sights and wanted something simple, rugged, and foolproof. I'll mainly use it for crawling through mountain laurel thickets and/or as a camp gun. If I can find a Wal-Mart sourced load that shoots well, I may not even reload for it.

If you want it less than 8lbs with scope, you might want to weigh it first. Mine weighs about 7.5lbs as shipped from the factory.

I looked at the Mossberg Patrol rifles, but the LOP was a bit too short, the price was $200 more than I paid for the Savage, and the reviews regarding accuracy weren't inspiring.

I haven't done much with mine yet. It was shooting WAY high at 50yds, even with the rear sight all the way down. Savage sent me a label to return it and just sent it back to me. It now sports a taller front base. Their test target at 25yds was one ragged hole and dead center, so hopefully I'll have a shooter.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I looked at the Mossberg Patrol rifles, but the LOP was a bit too short, the price was $200 more than I paid for the Savage, and the reviews regarding accuracy weren't inspiring.
    A guy at my club had one of these on the range last week, along with a bore scope, and I got to check it out. Nice concept but weak execution. The bolt travel was rough, like a 98k built in a slave labor camp. The bore had a lot of tool marks perpendicular to the rifling even after fire-lapping. He had four different types of mags, which ranged from barely-hanging-in-the-magwell to almost-a-crush-fit. When I asked how it fed, he just stared at me blankly.

You'd do a lot better by grabbing a 700 Youth at a big-box store and tricking it out with solid aftermarket parts.

Okie John

Site Supporter
    Nice concept/weak execution was my impression of the Mossberg as well.

Anyway, here are the links I mentioned above:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ly-ought-to-be!
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...Hog-Hunter-308

Chris

Thanks for the links.

After reading the replies here I have decided its best to use it as is and find what really needs changed.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    A guy at my club had one of these on the range last week, along with a bore scope, and I got to check it out. Nice concept but weak execution. The bolt travel was rough, like a 98k built in a slave labor camp. The bore had a lot of tool marks perpendicular to the rifling even after fire-lapping.
    After briefly looking over a Mossberg bolt gun last month, my impressions were similar. I wasn't impressed with the tooling marks, and the general "clunkiness" of the gun.

Ruger: I wouldn't touch a Ruger with a ten foot pole. Partly on principal (issues with the company) and partly due to the fact that I do not believe that their quality is on par with some other options in a similar price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Ruger: I wouldn't touch a Ruger with a ten foot pole. Partly on principal (issues with the company) and partly due to the fact that I do not believe that their quality is on par with some other options in a similar price range.
    I think they've improved since the old man left the company. They're certainly offering stuff that would have him turning over in his grave...

Okie John

Site Supporter
    Saw this Hog Hunter at Savageshooters.com:

Kinda sexy.

Chris

User Tag List