Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Clobb's Training Journal

09/13

100 rounds live fire at the range.

I shot with my Brother and Dad today which meant I couldn't run drills like I usually do. It was fun just to shoot for the pure fun of it. I shot some groups on B8's and playing cards at 7 yards. I did some mag dumps at 7 yards with the goal of keeping all my rounds in the black of a B8. I focused on watching the front sight lift and just shoot as well as I could given the situation. It was just a fun day.

Between us we put 200 rounds total through the Beretta, no further problems with mags or riding the slide release.

I missed the 14th and 15th. I never dry fire the day after a live fire session and was traveling from 3:00am to 10:30pm yesterday. I was in no mood to do any dry fire by the time I got home.

Back at it today: 09/16

15 Minutes dry draws and trigger presses. I need more work, much more work, on my press out.

Music:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ECZMvbLxg

09/17

15 minutes dry fire. Draws, reloads, trigger presses (freestyle, WHO, SHO).

I focused mostly on my draw and press out tonight. I'm finding it's very hard work to ingrain the press out, working at it, working at it, working at it.....

Tonight's music....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03YUgHAshSo

09/18

15 minutes dry fire. Draws, reloads, trigger presses (freestyle, WHO, SHO).

Reduced par times to 1.7 seconds for reload and draw.

09/19

20 minutes dry fire. Draws, reloads, trigger presses (freestyle, WHO, SHO).

Music tonight:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcCNcgoyG_0

9/20

20 minutes dry fire. Draws, reloads, trigger presses (freestyle, WHO, SHO).

I've been further evolving my draw and have come to some conclusions regarding what works better for me and the press out.

1) My typical stance is to have my shoulders square to the target and my left foot about a foot farther forward than my right. This stance results in a weird muzzle bobble on the press out with the muzzle of the pistol pointing very slightly left when I get the gun level. I struggled with this for the last few weeks until I finally started playing with my stance. If I pull my left food back slighty until it is only a couple of inches in front of my left, this bobble goes away. I tend to think that my old foot position is affecting my hips and shoulders despite trying to keep them square...or something. Anyway, the new stance is helping keep my muzzle more aligned.

2) I really have to get the pistol very high and level just under my dominant eye for the press out to work. If I'm too low under my eye and not level, I'm usually very muzzle high and though I'm tracking the front sight, I can't get alignment until I'm practically at full extension. In that case I might as well just be using an index draw.

3) For my body type I have to bend forward at the waste and hunch slightly to get this all to work.

4) I need a couple thousand more practice draw strokes to ingrain all of this.

20 minutes dry fire. Mostly focused on draws but did some reloads as well. Finished with my usual 40 press wall drill; Freestyle SA and DA, then WHO and SHO.

09/22

20 minutes dry draws, reloads, trigger presses (freestyle, WHO, SHO)

09/23

I've been working on the press out for 3 weeks or so now. I'm a long way off from perfecting it. It's been an interesting and sometimes frustrating process.

It forces you to be more conscious of your grip position out of the holster. With an index draw, if your grip isn't quite right you can muddle your way through as you search for your sights at extension. With the press out, if your grip is improper and the gun is not properly aligned with your forearm, the muzzle will be canted though the press out resulting in having to adjust on the way out to extension. I don't feel that it's as easy to fix on the fly as an index draw. But ingraining a proper grip out of the holster is a good thing.

The press out requires a deliberate speed change. You accelerate your hands until position 3 and then slow it down through extension as you align the sights. Much like the way you accelerate your hands through a mag change and then slow them down when indexing on the mag well. I've found this speed variation very hard to execute after thousands of index draws.

Practice is helping and there are glimmers of hope where everything goes just right and the press out is perfect. Those instances are getting more frequent, which is encouraging.

My next range session will let me put rubber to road and see if all this work results in improved F.A.S.T. times, especially cold.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 09-23-2014 at 10:51 PM.

09/24

User Tag List