Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Clobb's Training Journal

Clobb's Training Journal

I've never kept a Journal on a personal level, but since I'm committed to this training thing, I think a journal may be useful in setting goals and working my way towards them. This forum is at least partially responsible for my training regime, such as it is, and I've stolen most of my drills and practice from various portions of this forum. It makes sense for me to post it here. Many thanks to the forum owners and the members here for the first class information available.

I'll keep this journal open and I'll gladly accept feedback, negative or positive.

Current goals:

⦁ Consistent FAST's in low 5's. I would love to keep my cold FAST's in mid 5's.
    ⦁ Finally clean Dot Torture at 3rds and move to 5yrds.
    ⦁ Consistent score of 95+ at 25 yards on B8 targets.
    ⦁ Want to become much more comfortable with shooting and reloading on the move.

Current Gear: Beretta 92G Elite II, Blade-Tech Holster, stupid looking vest for concealment.

Cheers,
    Clobb

8/23
    275 rounds. I did a variety of drills to test my base line with my Beretta. I still shoot my Gen 3 Glock better with the fast stuff. I am much more accurate at 25 yards with the Beretta.

FAST:
    1st Cold: messed this up totally by loading three rounds in the gun on the first mag. Didn't complete the test.

2nd:5.46 +2H = 7.46

3rd: 5.35 +1B = 6.35 (1.76, 2.13, 4.43, 4.76, 5.07, 5.35)

Bill Drill: 2.51 (1.35, 1.63, 1.85, 2.08, 2.29, 2.51) 1.35 draw from concealment is untypically fast for me...

Dot Torture: 48/50 - simply rushing too much. I'm confident I can clean it, just need to slow down a bit.

Close Speed Drill: 4.33 - I'm much slower on this drill with the Beretta.

I didn't get a chance to shoot at 25 yards today as I arrived 5 minutes too late and the bay was full. Shot a 94 - 3x at 20 yards, with one bad flyer in the 8 ring.

8/25

15 minutes dry draws, reloads, trigger presses (freestyle, WHO, SHO)

Struggling still with 1.3 sec reload par time. 1.1 Sec draw par times seem to be going fairly well, if only I were that fast on the range.

When really going for it I'm finding I am messing up the placement of my support hand index finger. I think this is an issue of just not enough time developing muscle memory with the Beretta, even though I have almost a month of practically daily dry fire with it. I may increase my draw par time until I'm sure I can get it 100%.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 08-25-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Spelling

8/26

20 minutes dry draws, reloads, trigger presses (freestyle, WHO, SHO)

I backed my draw par time off to 1.3sec and had no further issues with support hand placement. I think I'll stay at that time for a few weeks to ingrain positioning before I decrease time.

Still struggled with meeting reload times, though reloads were much smoother than last night.

Tonight's dry fire music...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEQn...=RDWEQnzs8wl6E

8/27

25 minutes dry draws, reloads, trigger presses (freestyle, WHO, SHO), DA/SA transitions.

I increased par time on reloads to 1.5sec. Still struggled.....

Tonight's dry fire music.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg_Nw20GG0E

8/26
    150 Rounds at the range.

INADEQUATE
    adjective: inadequate
    Lacking the quality or quantity required; insufficient for a purpose.
    synonyms: insufficient, deficient, poor, scant, scanty, scarce, sparse, in short supply; More

Pretty much sums up my range session. My wife and kids are visiting the in laws this week so I was able to squeeze out a rare evening range session.

FAST
    1st: I messed this up for the second range session in a row! I rode the slide release and then badly fumbled my reload, mag went flying, so I abandoned the test. This is very frustrating to me as IMO the cold FAST is the only FAST that matters.
    2nd: 6.09 clean
    3rd: 6.97+1b = 7.97

Bill drills were slow: 3.97, 3.24 (7 yards from concealment)

25 yard B8 targets were 91 - 0x and a 93 - 3x (shot in 36.19 and 39.61seconds from low ready)

Here's a pic of the 93

I spent the rest of the session at 7 yards putting two rounds on 3x5 inch cards from concealment.

More work needed!!!!

8/30

20 minutes dry draws, reloads, trigger presses (freestyle, WHO, SHO), DA/SA transitions.

Reworking my draw stroke from the ground up, and have increased my par times on both draws and reloads.

My first shot times at the range are much much slower than my my dry fire times, so what I was doing in dry fire wasn't working in terms of increasing speed. I've decided to work on a pure press out and ensure my sights are aligned at the end of my press out as I break the shot.

8/31

15 minutes dry fire draws.

Day 2 of rebuilding my draw stroke. Increased par time to 1.8sec. Focused on getting the reps done correctly and shifting visual focus to the front sight as early as I can in the press out.

Today's music:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2ITWtozyqw

09/01

20 minutes dry draws, reloads, trigger presses (freestyle, WHO, SHO).

09/01 - PM

10 min - worked on movement. This is something that I need a lot of work on, so I have to include it in my dry fire.

User Tag List