Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: VP9 updates?

Round count approx 1,500 rounds, a few IDPA matches. Nothing bad to report, it runs like I expected it to. I have been silent because there is not much to report when things go smoothly and accurately. I think it will be a great competition gun if they make a longer barrel version, such as a G34 or at least a P30L. Now that would make me drool quite a bit.

For carrying, I will stick to the PPS in the summer and the P30 in the winter. Am good, nothing to change at all so I guess even for me it's a sort of fun gun. I would trade it for a second P30L V1 probably, particularly one done by Grey guns, and wait for the L version.

I shot a VP9 today and my 15 round group at 25 yards was comparable to my Gen 4 G34 groups. The trigger pull was nice but the trigger reset felt a little weak compared to a Glock.

In addition to a creepy trigger, still after 600 rounds, mine's developed a bit of wobble on the right side slide release. If you trap the left with one hand and attempt to move the right, with the other, it moves. Or simply working the left side normally, there's very little observed movement of the right. Anyone else observing this?

Quote Originally Posted by tomr View Post
    In addition to a creepy trigger, still after 600 rounds, mine's developed a bit of wobble on the right side slide release. If you trap the left with one hand and attempt to move the right, with the other, it moves. Or simply working the left side normally, there's very little observed movement of the right. Anyone else observing this?
    On the P30/P2000/HK45 pistols, the right side slide release lever is a rather loose fit over the axle attached to the left side lever, and a good bit of slop is accepted as normal (to the point of rattling if you shake it). My VP9 is much better in this regard than my other HKs, though after you mentioned it I can see a bit of rotational play. It is still a two piece assembly on the VP9, although the axle is now fixed to the right side lever. I wouldn't worry about it.

A message on the VP9 trigger from Bruce Gray.

**Please stay tuned for a word from Mr. Gray, soon**

Thanks, Rick. I'm here to announce a new GGI action package, for the VP9:

This Trijicon HD-equipped and Damon Young-stippled VP9 was subjected to our first fully developed action package for this new model. After staring blankly at it for a month (well, not really...he's been studying this thing like a teenage boy at a nudist colony), Ricky detailed every action component in his usual obsessive manner. We solved the OEM trigger bar spring bearing failure problem with a new three-strand spring and unitized bearing (which we'll market as a drop-in fix ASAP, as it's needed), he invented a trick over travel stop, and adjusted the action to yield a 4 pound 4 ounce dead-crisp pull with a wicked short and snappy reset without diminishing sear or safety engagement values. All internal action parts are finished in our proprietary electroless nickel-PTFE. Its perfect.

The only downbside is on our end: these newfangled HK striker guns are very challenging to work on technically, and very tricky to reassemble. It's not a fast job, but by Elvis the results are there, solid as can be.

We'll ask Steve from Spider Creations to put this new package up on Grayguns.com ASAP. We're still backed up, of course, but Rick's doing a better job of keeping up on his Crew's backlog than I have on the SIG side. Call him or me for a quote, with our thanks!

-Bruce

Quick note that may be of interest: The first one we got into the shop was made in Columbus GA, the second one we got this week is a German made pistol.

Several thousand dry fires through mine and about 1k live. Boringly reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Quick note that may be of interest: The first one we got into the shop was made in Columbus GA, the second one we got this week is a German made pistol.
    They are producing these domestically as well? I have only seen German-made ones thus far.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Apparently. We are retailing them at $700. For a gun with night sights, that's a very well executed assault on Glock, especially at the commercial Glock prices.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    This post likely means less then nothing compared to the esteemed shooters here, but perhaps a laypersons view might be of use .

At my last trip to the city gun range, a shooter next to me was wringing out his brand new VP9. After accepting his offered invite to shoot a mag through it, here's my thoughts.

The trigger is superior to the P30 in every respect.
    The grip,IMO, is superior to the former pistol.The stippling on the VP9 doesn't chew my hands or skin up the same way the P30s do. A personal quibble perhaps, but carrying a P30 IWB was miserable for me for that reason.
    Recoil-very shootable, as better shooters then me have said already at length .

Will I buy one?Nope.

If I had to buy a brand new striker fired gun or face a firing squad, that's the one I'd get-but so long as I don't have a railed 1911 in the safe or a spare 10mm pistol , so it will go for the HK. And a striker fired ' pleasure' gun to me makes as much sense as owning an F150 pickup or kicks.

The stippling on my P30S that I bought in Oct 2013 is mild. I wonder if they made changes? Really I was wanting something more aggressive.

I carry AIWB and mainly IWB at 3:00. Under a Tshirt the grip hasn't caused any problems with my skin

User Tag List