Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: VP9 updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I am surprised that the manual safety VP9s aren't here yet. But that being said, for all the folks that have been waiting for them, why not get a manual safety P30 and run it cocked and locked?
    #cockedhammersarescary

Couple things, having carried HK's on duty for 20 years, 14 of them as an instructor. We do top off mags with the pistol in the holster and I can activate the paddle in my duty retention holster (that would be the only retention holster commercially available I'm pretty sure, one drawback) I have never seen or heard of a mag inadvertently coming out. This 17 round mag seems interesting. Ironically, my 13 Rd 9mm P2000 mags all had fairly poor spring life. USP 45 and HK 45 mag spring life is almost eternal. Mag bodies and night sights will go first.

I am surprised that the manual safety VP9s aren't here yet. But that being said, for all the folks that have been waiting for them, why not get a manual safety P30 and run it cocked and locked?
    Because the P30 has a longer reset than the VP9, and I like to pretend that I'm so fast that it actually matters. Actually, I've never tried a P30S and they don't seem very common around here. Is the the lever easy to ride with the thumb, or funky feeling like some of the other HK levers?

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    Because the P30 has a longer reset than the VP9, and I like to pretend that I'm so fast that it actually matters. Actually, I've never tried a P30S and they don't seem very common around here. Is the the lever easy to ride with the thumb, or funky feeling like some of the other HK levers?
    That's a good point about the reset. So many folks around here don't ride the reset I forgot some do. But there is a Gray Guns set you can install that shortens the reset significantly. I haven't done a LOT of shooting riding the safety on P30 or USP, but I have done some on my USPc and on rental P30s. I didn't really find either one funky or cumbersome. My new P30S is being delivered to my FFL today so I will be doing it a lot for a while. I'll be starting up a training log too.

Speaking of which, member SsevenN has a training log here and he's been rocking a P30S with the gray guns short reset installed. He shoots it very well and fast and posts vids of him shooting it. Check it out when you get a chance, and if you want more detailed info about it he's very open about it all.

Quote Originally Posted by spj View Post
    Couple things, having carried HK's on duty for 20 years, 14 of them as an instructor. We do top off mags with the pistol in the holster and I can activate the paddle in my duty retention holster (that would be the only retention holster commercially available I'm pretty sure, one drawback) I have never seen or heard of a mag inadvertently coming out. This 17 round mag seems interesting. Ironically, my 13 Rd 9mm P2000 mags all had fairly poor spring life. USP 45 and HK 45 mag spring life is almost eternal. Mag bodies and night sights will go first.
    Wow that's the first time I've ever heard of a problem with the P2K mag spring life. I have a USPc (same mag) I'll have to keep an eye on those mags.

That's a good point about the reset. So many folks around here don't ride the reset I forgot some do. But there is a Gray Guns set you can install that shortens the reset significantly. I haven't done a LOT of shooting riding the safety on P30 or USP, but I have done some on my USPc and on rental P30s. I didn't really find either one funky or cumbersome. My new P30S is being delivered to my FFL today so I will be doing it a lot for a while. I'll be starting up a training log too.

Speaking of which, member SsevenN has a training log here and he's been rocking a P30S with the gray guns short reset installed. He shoots it very well and fast and posts vids of him shooting it. Check it out when you get a chance, and if you want more detailed info about it he's very open about it all.
    I was partly joking about the reset. I don't really ride it, but sometimes when switching from another DA/SA with a shorter reset to a P30 V3, I note a tendency at first to not have my finger go forward enough during the firing cycle. Once adjusted, I'm OK. I am not really fast enough where that reset length makes a huge difference for me. But, for the more talented people here, I could see the VP9 trigger characteristics making some difference on their performance vs a P30. Having a manual safety might make the VP9 more carryable (at least in AIWB for some people), and make it more reasonable to use the same type of pistol for carry as well as sport.

I have been mostly carrying DA/SA, but my skill level is more modest than many here. It's hard for me to deny that I probably shoot better with a striker fired if put on a timer. When I have time to try games again, I'll probably be using striker fired, so I am taking a good look at thumb safety equipped striker fired to keep it carryable within my personal preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    I was partly joking about the reset. I don't really ride it, but sometimes when switching from another DA/SA with a shorter reset to a P30 V3, I note a tendency at first to not have my finger go forward enough during the firing cycle. Once adjusted, I'm OK. I am not really fast enough where that reset length makes a huge difference for me. But, for the more talented people here, I could see the VP9 trigger characteristics making some difference on their performance vs a P30. Having a manual safety might make the VP9 more carryable (at least in AIWB for some people), and make it more reasonable to use the same type of pistol for carry as well as sport.

I have been mostly carrying DA/SA, but my skill level is more modest than many here. It's hard for me to deny that I probably shoot better with a striker fired if put on a timer. When I have time to try games again, I'll probably be using striker fired, so I am taking a good look at thumb safety equipped striker fired to keep it carryable within my personal preferences.
    That all makes complete sense. The P30 series, and to some extent the classic Sig non-short reset have longer resets and can be easily short stroked when coming from another platform. But it seems to me the P30S with short reset should be somewhat close to a VP9 with a manual safety. Especially since the P30 guns are basically the same price as a VP9 these days. Just something to think about.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Seems like someone trying to tack on a "it could happen" to the recent thread linked in that thread.

Carry whatever you want agencies are very rare, combine with two use of force situations in a week occurring in such a place, both times banging up his pistol to the point striker prematurely releases = rare and not likely.

Then guy says jumping over to Sig X5 as his new duty pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
    Seems like someone trying to tack on a "it could happen" to the recent thread linked in that thread.

Carry whatever you want agencies are very rare, combine with two use of force situations in a week occurring in such a place, both times banging up his pistol to the point striker prematurely releases = rare and not likely.

Then guy says jumping over to Sig X5 as his new duty pistol
    In my experience, the very rare occurrence is most likely to happen when you need it most.

User Tag List