Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: VP9 updates?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I wonder how many stoppages have occurred after someone changed magazines with the pistol still in the holster, and didn’t fully seat the magazine?
    Seat the magazine well and tug on it to see if it is properly seated. I have seen shooters on the line draw and the magazine drop from the pistol because they did not properly seat the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    For a range holster, sure why not... but for any serious carry for personal protection I cannot get behind this idea at all. Are there ANY top instructors teaching this sort of reload in the holster?
    Not Top Firearms Instructors but I have seen it quite often on LEO P O S T Qualifications.

On hot ranges, like at Gunsite, it is common for people to be changing magazines with the pistol in the holster, since the pistol must stay holstered when not on the shooting line, and people are expected to be ready to shoot upon reaching the firing line.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Are there ANY top instructors teaching this sort of reload in the holster?
    Clint Smith has a few videos doing it, but this is the only one I can find right now

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Clint Smith has a few videos doing it, but this is the only one I can find right now

He didn't actually press mag release in holster though, so not really what we are looking at IMO.

It is in common practice during USBP quals. At the 25 we do 4 stand and 4 kneeling on either side of a barricade and coming into the position with our 6 magazine load out we have a full magazine and a partial. We generally remove 5 rounds from the full magazine and add them to the one in our pistol by removing the magazine while the pistol is holstered to give us 8 in the gun and 8 for the next relay on the opposite side of the barricade.

This is purely an administrative way of loading and not taught as a technique or tactic.
    Last edited by TCB; 01-20-2020 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post

While some may think a mag release covered by a holster sweat shield is the way to protect a mag release and prevent unintended release of the mag, it seems as if the overwhelming majority of accidental mag release presses are by a holster sweat shield rather than an uncovered mag release.

Duty holsters may be a different animal, but this seems to be the case with concealment holsters.
    In my experience, you're absolutely right. I had two accidental mag drops in my life, both while aggressively cornering in a car, both with IWB holsters covering mag release. One with a 1911, and one with a P7M8.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

It is in common practice during USBP quals. At the 25 we do 4 stand and 4 kneeling on either side of a barricade and coming into the position with our 6 magazine load out we have a full magazine and a partial. We generally remove 5 rounds from the full magazine and add them to the one in our pistol by removing the magazine while the pistol is holstered to give us 8 in the gun and 8 for the next relay on the opposite side of the barricade.

This is purely an administrative way of loading and not taught as a technique or tactic.
    I’ve done it my entire LE career on the range, as well.

The only time I’ve been taught something similar, outside an administrative reload, is a method to reload a pistol while running a shield. But it’s not exactly the same as what’s being talked about here.
    Last edited by TC215; 01-20-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    In my experience, you're absolutely right. I had two accidental mag drops in my life, both while aggressively cornering in a car, both with IWB holsters covering mag release. One with a 1911, and one with a P7M8.
    My concern applies only to H&K/Walther paddle mag releases that swing down, not buttons that press in. I also cannot fathom how a sweat shield would ever cover a magazine release? I have always thought it was meant to cover you from the hard/sharp safeties/decocking levers digging into your flesh and maybe keeping the slide from staying drenched.
    Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 01-20-2020 at 08:29 PM.

Not the sweatshield, but trigger guard cover, part that extends to enclose the mag release. I think this is what JTQ meant.
    In my experience, it didn't matter button or paddle. Tight turn, decent G force, both HK and 1911 dropped their mags with release devices fully covered.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List