Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Hockey Tape Users?

Site Supporter

Any Hockey Tape Users?

Seen the trend of hockey tape for grip on carry guns and bought some Gucci “Goon Tape” to try. Unfortunately, though I’m pleased by how thin it is and how it seems decently durable, it is feeling very slick to me with dry hands. Some people say it provides great grip with wet hands but I haven’t experienced that yet.

Are there any other varieties of hockey tape people have tried that they like?

I have sweaty hands and prefer as much texture as possible for shooting, but in a contradiction, I’m always looking for the most comfortable carry and also hate when texture “velcroes” to clothes and increases printing.

I already had to take the granulate talons (which I like shooting with) off the 34 because my flannels stuck to it like Velcro instead of draping over it. I’ve found a very aggressive stipple job then softened with sandpaper is the best compromise so far, as seen on the 43X

I like the OEM Gen 4/5 texture a lot for carry and dry hands, but it falls apart for me if I start sweating at all, which is a guarantee for me a lot of the year.

Should I try Talon Pro texture? Some other hockey tape? I like the tape on the 42 because it has weak AF texture from the factory and very little recoil, and the tape makes the grip slightly bigger.

Name:  IMG_0075.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  88.2 KB

Tagging in because I'm always looking for the best mouse trap.

I love the Talon Pro grip material and am slowly converting everything over to it. In the past I used the regular texture on my carry guns and grit texture on my game/range guns. The Pro is more aggressive than regular but doesn't contain the grit that sticks and holds onto your clothing with a death grip. It's a lot more forgiving, but not totally snag free with some materials, but it definitely releases better than grit. You will need to replace them just like with the grit as they wear similarly. I've been able to go a very long time on Talon's plain texture on my carry gats. Oh well, they are affordable enough.

Site Supporter
    This was popular with some Kel-Tec shooters in past years. I have no personal experience but am thinking of trying it.

https://www.brookstactical.com/

https://www.brookstactical.com/Pages/fitlist.html
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I don’t get the hockey tape on the grip of a pistol.

When I see it it is never in the place that the grip needs it which is higher up were the meat of your hand is.

I would just get some granular grip tape and apply accordingly like your other pistols.

I put some Red Cat scooter tape on two pistol grips. Works for me.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I had Goon tape on my Glocks for about 3 hours. As mentioned previously, I found it just too darn slick on dry hands.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I bought this two-roll pack last July for $10 to experiment with:

https://a.co/d/gUXcFQu

I still have most of it. I put it on the Ruger LCR, then took it off because it was coming off while shooting, and I didn't perceive any benefit. I also put some on my carry P365X for a while, but for whatever reason I took it off recently. I have Talon regular rubber on, and prefer that since it gives me some "give" (I grip pretty hard). For me it was worth the money to try out, but if I knew then what I know now, I'd just skip it.

FWIW I found the Talon Pro about the same feel as the Talon regular. I had Talon granulate on my G34 and loved that, but it was a USPSA OWB gun. Sure did stick to my hands, though.

Site Supporter
    I’ve shot guns with Talon Pro once or twice and can’t remember how “planted” it felt in my hands. The Talon Rubbers do absolutely nothing for me.

Site Supporter
    I use the walmart sports tape on my G42 and also on rubber revolver grips to reduce the stickiness in the places I don't want it. Like the recoil pocket on the Crimson Trace 405s.
    Adam

Site Supporter
    The boot grip on my LCR and CT405 on my 642 are wrapped with grip tape and rubber ranger band, it provides a little more girth, a good grip and comes out of my pocket pretty well. The tape I've got is mediocre, I'd like to find some with more grip / stickiness.

User Tag List