Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spare Magazines

Downloading by one round is just common sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The general rule of thumb on mags is that you want at least 1/2 a round worth of play when the mag is loaded to capacity. With Glocks often there is almost no movement left when the mag is at capacity. That has the same downsides that loading 30 rounds in a USGI mag has.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    i was playing around with my glock mags one day and came to this conclusion as well. 14 rounds is plenty. with a g19 loaded 15+1, and a spare of 14, you have 30 on tap. I dont' think i have to explain why that's plenty. Seating 14 rounds on a closed slide is substantially easier. Just takes out one possible cause of error.

Do you guys download the one in the gun as well?

Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    i was playing around with my glock mags one day and came to this conclusion as well. 14 rounds is plenty. with a g19 loaded 15+1, and a spare of 14, you have 30 on tap. I dont' think i have to explain why that's plenty. Seating 14 rounds on a closed slide is substantially easier. Just takes out one possible cause of error.

Do you guys download the one in the gun as well?
    I don't download the one in the gun.
    Chemist.

Site Supporter
    How many spare magazines do you guys carry?

I carry two. But I also carry a single stack 1911.

I'm thinking when I make the switch (prepping for), I've been in some incidents (rather, sketchy situations I thought, "You know, I would've liked to have had a bright flash light if that situation went a certain way") in this last year, where I'm thinking if I've got 30+ rounds, I might want a good flash light instead of another spare magazine.

What say you guys? I kind of know what some of you are going to say, but just curious what's the general consensus.

I carry 1. I usually carry a G-19 fully loaded w/ 124 Gold Dots; same with the spare.
    Never had an issue loading them to the max and no issues with malfunctions (FTF).

When I carry my 442 I carry the reload in an HKS speedloader.

I download all my mags by one. So the one in the gun just doesn't get topped off when I load the chamber. Spare is down one as well. I find it makes it a lot less likely that I will have a mag fail to seat under less than ideal conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by willowofwisp View Post
    I don't download the one in the gun.
    As I said, I never have downloaded my glocks, though I think it's a good idea. Glock puts more rounds in the mag space than any other manufacturer. If you subscribe to that idea, then the mag in the gun should be downloaded as well. The issue as I understand it is overall reliability, and having a little more room in the mag improves feed reliablility, not just ease of insertion.

I've never noticed the mag being tough to insert fully loaded, but I have seen lots (on the order of 100 pistols a day) of glocks on the line, and a surprising number failed to feed from lack of available spring pressure.

I don't think that is an issue when they are new, but Glock mag springs take a serious set, really quickly. I always thought that was a bad idea, and when you compare them to other guns' mags, they are outside the norm.

Like I said, I've never down loaded my glocks, and mine have been pretty reliable, but not as reliable a some other guns I've used.

I download my mags by one since I'm introduced to this method two years before. Otherwise I never experienced any problem with a fully loaded mag, like I did it before.

With my G30 I got two mags, who only accept 9 rounds instead of ten. They got replaced for ccw.
    Frank B
    "You are not paid for what you do, you are paid for what you may have to do, and when that time comes, you will be highly underpaid."

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Downloading by one round is just common sense to me.
    Depends on the gun.
    Glocks tend to be packed tight when they are loaded to capacity, -1 could be a good idea. Since Glocks also have high capacities for their size it's not a big deal to go -1.

My H&K P2000 9mm mags have a lot of room left after being loaded to capacity, you could almost stuff another round in if you really tried. Downloading a H&K mag is not necessary at all.

Downloading my Kahr PM9 mags is not only unnecessary for feeding/seating, but also takes away 10% of my ammo.

Always carry a spare as I think most if not all you do and have mentioned. I also carry a reload for my BUG. Anyone else carry a reload for the BUG?

User Tag List