Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to reloading: 9mm Luger

I've been very pleased with 4ish grains of titegroup behind a Montana Gold 124 CMJ. Dial calipers are a must as is a powder scale (the little pocket ones work great). A chrono is not that expensive.

I'm surprised how cheap MG gets when you order a full case.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I've been very pleased with 4ish grains of titegroup behind a Montana Gold 124 CMJ. Dial calipers are a must as is a powder scale (the little pocket ones work great). A chrono is not that expensive.

I'm surprised how cheap MG gets when you order a full case.
    I've run about 15K rounds of 4.1 of TG and a 124 MG JHP. It's a softer shooting load but hot and dirty and accuracy is only fair.

If you like MGs, try the PD 124 JHP. They're much more accurate through all of my guns and you can get the cost down to $0.95/per bullet shipped if you buy in qty., which is cheaper than MGs. Not two years ago they were $0.78 per. Wish I would've really stocked up then.

I recently had a chance to purchase 8# of Bullseye, 5# of Blue Dot, 4# of Win. 231 and 4# of Power Pistol. Since I do not reload I picked up the 8# of Bullseye and the 5# of Blue Dot for a total of $225 for a friend that uses it.

I use 4.5 grains of Titegroup behind Hornady 115 gr. FMJ. It replicates WWB across different brass manufacturers pretty closely.

MG 124gr JHP
    CCI small pistol primer
    Unique 4.9gr (this is a bulky powder and a double charge would more than overflow)
    1.075 C.O.A.L.
    136 PF
    Loaded on a Dillon 650
    I second the advice of starting with a single stage or turret press. It allows one to easily work up batches of loads for testing while changing one variable at a time, allows you to buy in for relatively little money and test the waters, you can use it to load many calibers without the extra cost of shell plates, tool heads, tool head stands, and extra powder measures.......
    This nearly duplicates Win. Nato and Speer GDHP 124gr +P POA / POI in my gun. YMMV
    Taking a break from social media.

First, you need to buy at least one reloading manual. Second, you need to read it and not just look at the loading receipes. I prefer the Lee manual. It explains everything pretty well.

Reading the manual should give you enough knowledge to ask good questions.

Good Luck, Be Safe!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post

VV N330 or N340 are the two best powders made for 9mm,
    VihtaVuori 3N37 works very well with 147 grain loads in 9mm Luger. It can duplicate the muzzle velocities of factory loads while maintaining low standard deviations and it produces excellent accuracy. The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from 25 yards using a hand-load charged with 3N37 and topped with the Hornady 147 grain XTP. The group has an extreme spread of 0.88".

My glocks all seem to like Hornady's 124 gr round nose FMJ bullet. My best loads have been 4.2 gr of bullseye or 4.1 gr of Titegroup. Win 231 has done well behind a 115 fmj, but I don't play with those too often.

Truthfully you'll probably have to take what you can get powderwise. I'd look for Titegroup or bullseye if you can. Unique has only been so-so for me in 9mm, it works great with 45s though. I've only used 231 a couple times so far.

I'd pick up a couple hundred Hornady 124 gr fmjs. Whenever I check the bullet weight on my scale it's never more than .1 gr away from 124. No surprise, those bullets group much better for me at 25 yards than the 115 bulk bullets I got. I only use 115s for drills that are 10 yards and in now. Anything with some distance in it, I save for the 124s.

Get more than one reloading manual and insure they are recent. Read them and remember that if you change any variable (including the brand of brass for near-max loads), the printed load data is no longer valid. My favorite is the Hornady set as I use many of their bullets. Use the online resources that bullet manufacturers and powder manufacturers offer. Check the printed recipes against other resources, and do not hesitate to call for help if the data looks suspect. Editing and printing errors have been known to occur in reloading manuals.

Invest in a good scale and a good set of calipers. Use good dies. I prefer Redding, but RCBS and Dillon are good.

Take your time and avoid distractions while loading. Look for both double charges and no charges of powder with a flashlight in every case before seating the bullet. Be safe.

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    VihtaVuori 3N37 works very well with 147 grain loads in 9mm Luger. It can duplicate the muzzle velocities of factory loads while maintaining low standard deviations and it produces excellent accuracy. The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from 25 yards using a hand-load charged with 3N37 and topped with the Hornady 147 grain XTP. The group has an extreme spread of 0.88".

Very nice. 9mm AR pattern rifle I assume?

Let me qualify my earlier statement, in 115 gr and 124 gr projectiles N330 and N340 perform extremely well. I've shot a limited number of 147 gr projectiles in comparison and they're usually pushed by N320. While extremely soft shooting, this load isn't extremely accurate.
    Last edited by mizer67; 08-24-2014 at 06:53 PM.

User Tag List