Thread: 2011 grip safety question

2011 grip safety question

I might be shooting a STI 2011 in a upcoming team match.
    Is the grip safety easier, harder or about the same to depress on the 2011 vs. a 1911?
    I have a hard time consistently depressing the grip safety on most 1911's, including ones with bumps and swells on them.
    I was wondering if the 2011 is any different.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I've never noticed a difference.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I've never noticed a difference.
    Damn...
    I guess we'll have to go with plan B and share a different handgun because deactivating the grip safety is against the rules.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

They perform a function check of the weapon? you can sensitize the grip safety with some patience and a file to ensure it's deactivation

Function check all safeties, including grip and firing pin blocks.

My grip puts the majority of force so high that I'm actually forcing the grip safety to stay engaged.
    Everytime I've tried "sensitizing" a grip safety it ends up completely deactivated.

Add something to the bump? Piece of foam or 3m weatherstrip.
    What form of competition requires something other then the primary safety work other then IDPA?

You're just going to have to try it out. While the safeties on 1911's and 2011's behave the same for me, the circumference and the squareness of the grip does how your hand interacts with the gun. You must have wiry hands.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I might be shooting a STI 2011 in a upcoming team match.
    Is the grip safety easier, harder or about the same to depress on the 2011 vs. a 1911?
    I have a hard time consistently depressing the grip safety on most 1911's, including ones with bumps and swells on them.
    I was wondering if the 2011 is any different.
    Other than sensitizing your grip safety to disengage, another solution is to utilize Caspians "shark fin" grip safety, which uses a vertical memory bump. While some people seem to despise 'em (mostly on perceived aesthetics), I've found them functionally to be superb-wherever the web of your had hits that sucker, it's gonnna very effectively disengage the grip safety. SIGARMS used them as OEM for awhile on their 1911s, but have since switched to the more conventional lower horizontal "memory bump."

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Other than sensitizing your grip safety to disengage, another solution is to utilize Caspians "shark fin" grip safety, which uses a vertical memory bump. While some people seem to despise 'em (mostly on perceived aesthetics), I've found them functionally to be superb-wherever the web of your had hits that sucker, it's gonnna very effectively disengage the grip safety. SIGARMS used them as OEM for awhile on their 1911s, but have since switched to the more conventional lower horizontal "memory bump."

Best, Jon
    That right there is likely your best bet Jody. That Caspian unit has a raised vertical rib all the way up the back of the grip safety. Ugly? You betcha. I have a buddy with one and I tried everything to get it to fail to deactivate and couldn't get it done with anything that resembled a firing grip. My hands are a bit fat though.

User Tag List