Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Day 2 - Inside Mordor

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    If you say you'll be studying with Neal Schubin, I will be intensely jealous.
    I probably won't be working directly with Neal, we work on different kinds of questions within paleontology. But if he teaches a class over the next five years, I will certainly take it and I do plan to sit down with him a few times over the years to seek his guidance and advice.

___

Day 3 in the land where the Constitution is apparently not applicable - I managed to get my first speeding ticket ever last night. I, however, refuse to acknowledge it as legitimate since it was issued by a speed camera which involved no police enforcement at all. Apparently, the concept of the Sixth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution doesn't exist here and they can just slap cameras anywhere, Big Brother style, and mail you citations for failing to adhere to the two minutes hate or whatever. Actually, my understanding is, this is a civil fine, and not a criminal one, because they cannot win on criminal prosecutions of camera enforcement (because a camera cannot testify in court).

That said - I find it highly disturbing that speed cameras exist and are in force around the city. At this point, there are fifty of them. I'm contemplating making it a challenge over the next five years to get a ticket from all of them. But I really don't want to give this city more money. I gotta tell you guys, Chicago is just so endearing to people who have lived in a free state....

In other news, after some errands this morning, my friend and I will head downtown for him to check it out and then up to the Lincoln Park Zoo. This time, I'll take the train. Only cameras to observe you and warn the local constabulary there, not to issue tickets for exercising free speech.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    . Only cameras to observe you and warn the local constabulary there, not to issue tickets for exercising free speech.
    You should carry a sign and chant "I hate Rahm because I love liberty" the whole time on the train, just to test out that last part.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Days 3 - 4 - and 5 -

I went to a Cubs game with my father-in-law on Tuesday. We sat, literally, behind the visitors (Giants) dug out and watched the game, until it was rain-delayed and then canceled.

Day 4 - We got up and started to run some errands, went to where I'd parked the car the night before. My car was fine, but this was awaiting me...

Maybe one block down from my house about 20-30 feet from where my car was parked...

Day 5 - I drove the friends and brother-in-law that helped us move from Tejas to the airport to head back home. Nothing like watching crack dealers do business at 6 in the morning a mile from your apartment... To be honest, I am sure there was a drug dealer within 1000 yards of my apartment in Austin, too. It's just he didn't stand on a street corner and hustle rock.

In other news, I have learned that air conditioners are nice when it's 85-degrees, 90-100% humidity, and you live on the third floor - I bought a portable one and set it up today, for the first time in a week, I can walk through the apartment without swimming.

And there you go - more than you ever wanted to know.

Site Supporter
    You sir, are doing Chicago right. Also, with U of Chi, those'll be some very impressive initials to add to the end of your name!

DISCLAIMER: I am from the Burbs, so some of the Natives may snicker at my opinion

Not gonna lie, there are drawbacks. Violent crime being one. Not a perfect CCW system is another. Also, you will learn this about Chicago. There is no hotter place than Chicago in the summer. But that is okay, because there is also no colder place than Chicago in the winter. You get all sorts of lake effect snow and winds howling off the Lake that turn the city a good 10 degrees colder than the burbs. And the price of gasoline....oh the price of gasoline. You undoubtedly already ran into that one

I'm not gonna lie, I've been to a few big cities, and as far as gigantic Metropolitan areas go, I like Chicago the most. Midwestern charms and everything. Also, going to the beach without feeling like there's a salt shaker in your mouth has a special charm of its own. And of course, of the "Big Three" which would be NYC, Chicago, and LA, the easiest place to get a Permit to Carry is Chicago...

The Museums, Zoos, Restaurants, and Concerts are like none other. I tend to enjoy Jazz music, and the "Jazzin at the Shedd" events are well worth it. Also, many museums have special "free days" to residents, so you got that going for you too. My sister used to love taking me and my little brother downtown to find random musical performances that were open to the public. The Taste of Chicago is sometimes worth it, depending on when you go. If you go on a weekend, you'll probably get smothered in people and there is the occasional shooting. If you're into contemporary music, I'm afraid you just missed Lollapalooza, which is nearly always a dirty, filthy, hysterically fun mess.

Go to Gino's East for your deep dish needs and you won't be disappointed. Portillo's is all most need to know when it comes to Italian Beef, but there are a couple good places. I only recently picked up the affection for the Chicago Hot Dog...and it's tasty.

Looks like you're in a pretty rough neighborhood though. Stay safe out there man.

I probably won't be working directly with Neal, we work on different kinds of questions within paleontology. But if he teaches a class over the next five years, I will certainly take it and I do plan to sit down with him a few times over the years to seek his guidance and advice.
    Still jealous and hope to hear more about your work.
    #RESIST

Days 3 - 4 - and 5 -

I went to a Cubs game with my father-in-law on Tuesday. We sat, literally, behind the visitors (Giants) dug out and watched the game, until it was rain-delayed and then canceled.

Day 4 - We got up and started to run some errands, went to where I'd parked the car the night before. My car was fine, but this was awaiting me...

Maybe one block down from my house about 20-30 feet from where my car was parked...

Day 5 - I drove the friends and brother-in-law that helped us move from Tejas to the airport to head back home. Nothing like watching crack dealers do business at 6 in the morning a mile from your apartment... To be honest, I am sure there was a drug dealer within 1000 yards of my apartment in Austin, too. It's just he didn't stand on a street corner and hustle rock.

In other news, I have learned that air conditioners are nice when it's 85-degrees, 90-100% humidity, and you live on the third floor - I bought a portable one and set it up today, for the first time in a week, I can walk through the apartment without swimming.

And there you go - more than you ever wanted to know.
    Do what I did, Pack up and move to Vermont!

Yeah, the good news is, not having a CCL really didn't matter at Wrigley or the zoo or on the trains. None of those places are allowed to allow carry (yet.)

"Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray.
    My legs are longer though, to run away."
    --Helena of Athens

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Do what I did, Pack up and move to Vermont!
    He just moved to Chicago for work and explained why; it's in this thread.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    Yeah, the good news is, not having a CCL really didn't matter at Wrigley or the zoo or on the trains. None of those places are allowed to allow carry (yet.)
    It's actually not that different from Texas (no guns at sporting events and public transit is questionable). The wife and I did bring a car, because despite what some folks think, not everything that ever existed, exists in Chicago (I literally had people ask me, "Why would you want a car in Chicago? Everything exists there!") and so when I do get my permit, I can carry while running errands/etc. I've got a small custom fixed blade, with a 2.5" blade that I carry, and a small slipjoint folder for general cutting tasks. Frankly, this whole experience has my reorienting my skillset and training regime (like I wanted to anyways). When I get back to guns, it will probably be in a very different way from where I was before. At this point, I'd sleep better having a gun of some type around, but I don't feel much more different than I do when I travel internationally either.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    He just moved to Chicago for work and explained why; it's in this thread.
    Thanks!

To expound, yes I moved here from Texas, if I were leaving tomorrow, I would definitely head back to Texas. The move wasn't an easy choice, to move from the Land of the Free to the Land Where the Constitution Sometimes Applies. But I was offered the career opportunity of a lifetime (do a PhD in Evolutionary Biology at UChicago), with incredible funding (~100k/year in total funding for five years), with the opportunity to do any research that I want to do in Ev. Bio. no strings attached, I literally ask my questions, create the ways to investigate them, and have funded my independent research, no ties to someone else for funding, no supervisor/grant funded projects, I have unparalleled freedom.

This combined with potential career growth for my wife (she is in auditing/finance/management) and the potential to be less than a 45 minute drive from family (wife's sister, her husband, one nephew, and another niece/nephew on the way) for the next five years which would improve overall home life quality...well...Frankly I would have been dumb to turn it down. I had other, lesser, opportunities, in better places. And without going into super great detail, I fought tooth and nail to get to this position and silenced some pretty serious and harsh critics along the way.

It wasn't easy leaving my home state, and then leaving Austin, a place I'd lived for the better part of a decade, but I couldn't let gun laws and material objects stand in the way of being a better person or finding and using my potential to the fullest. If I did that, I might as well just hang a sign over my head that said "quitter" on it. I'll play by the inane Illinois rules to get my gun and follow all the laws, because I have to. All that said, I wouldn't blame anyone for suggesting a move out of this place. I plan to be here five years and then GTFOH to someplace, preferably warm and dry with mild winters, for the rest of my life. It's coincidental that those places also have better gun laws than here....maybe.

-Rob
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 08-24-2014 at 07:37 PM.

An ex Russian acquaintance of mine works in NY,NY. He told me he makes much more money there. He views it as a combat tour. Get in, make money get out.

User Tag List