Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Day 2 - Inside Mordor

Day 2 - Inside Mordor

This morning dawns day two for this Texan transplanted to Chicago - Land of no parking, crooked politicians, and a lot of violent crime. Thus far, I have only heard a single siren, this morning. I slept with the windows open, in August, for the first time, ever. I've seen cops all over the place. I have not dealt with anything serious thus far, a panhandler yesterday, and that's pretty typical around here. Chicago really isn't much different than other major cities. There are places you go, places you don't, and places that if you have to go, you keep the windows up, doors locked, and drive quick.

Today, I venture out to procure things for the new homestead from the Swedish elves. And I need to find the closest caffeine fairy and acquire some caffeine. Since, I left my last proper "sword" back in the old country, I will instead opt to carry a small fixed blade and try this thing were I pretend evil can't find and attack me, I hear it works well. (That's a joke for those of you with broken humor meters). It's been three days since I last had a pistol in my possession, and five days since I've last dry-fired. I'm starting to feel some serious withdraw symptoms. I am thinking Laserlyte trainer? Anyone work with one of them regularly? I'd go SIRT, but money is tight from the move and I like that I can get a Laserlyte and a target with it, for a few dollars less.

In other news - I have to get a "Welcome to Chicago" "parking permit" so that we can park legally on the street. Don't get me wrong, my car is legally parked on the street currently, as in it is properly and legally parked with respect to the laws, but Lord Emmanuel says that we must pay $85 to have the privilege of parking it. I also have to go get my IL DL and file FOID paperwork, in hopes that sometime in the next 3 months, I can reacquire one of my already, legally owned, firearms.

Obviously, not a lot of folks here are thinking of moving to Mordor, but if you are, these are the things you'll deal with.

-Rob

PS: Thank you to all who helped me get into contact with folks in Chicago dealing with firearms issues. It made life much easier to deal with overall during this move.

Get a good Chicago hot dog yet? Recommended. Have them "drag it through the garden."
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Prayers sent.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Two words for you: italian beef.

Ok, two more: Lou Malnati's

What the heck, two more: Garrett's popcorn.

Those (along with previously mentioned hot dogs) are the only things I miss about living outside Chicago.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

A guy I've worked with is from Chi-town. He went on and on about the pizza there.

Best of luck in the settling in and the new life there. Hope you can get the paperwork squared away quickly to become properly armed and able to carry.

eta: a good takedown pump shotgun would seem comforting when otherwise deprived of arms.

I don't understand the love for the Chicago dog. The only type that are even marginally acceptable are the char dogs. Flavorless tomato and a limp pickle do not a good hot dog make, even if I do like the poppy buns.

I can absolutely get behind the Italian beef sandwiches and the pizzas, though.

ETA: When you're ready to take out a second mortgage for dinner, Chicago has one of the coolest restaurants in the world.
    Last edited by Sheep Have Wool; 08-18-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    Sheep Have Wool

I had to go to Chicago once for my brother's Navy graduation. I hated it! I felt so naked w/o my gun. Luckily, it was in the northern, nicer part, so it wasn't too bad. I don't ever plan on going back though if I can avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Have Wool View Post
    I don't understand the love for the Chicago dog. The only type that are even marginally acceptable are the char dogs. Flavorless tomato and a limp pickle do not a good hot dog make, even if I do like the poppy buns.
    What you describe is not what I experienced several times in Chicago.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Have Wool View Post
    You've not had the genuine article in its best form, obviously.
    Of course, you have to like Kosher pure beef hot dogs to begin with.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    This morning dawns day two for this Texan transplanted to Chicago -
    Be sure to spend some time at the Field Museum of Natural History, one of my favorite places growing up there as a kid in the '50s-'60s.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List