Page 93 of 235 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle. It’s original, dense as a prose poem at times, evocative, and troubling. Our library had the audiobook and it was narrated by the author. Highly recommended.

Name:  41WSpKHvILL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  30.1 KB

"More people have died exploring underwater caves than climbing Mount Everest, and we know more about deep space than we do about the depths of our oceans. From one of the top cave divers working today—and one of the very few women in her field—Into the Planet blends science, adventure, and memoir to bring readers face-to-face with the terror and beauty of earth’s remaining unknowns and the extremes of human capability.

Jill Heinerth—the first person in history to dive deep into an Antarctic iceberg and leader of a team that discovered the ancient watery remains of Mayan civilizations—has descended farther into the inner depths of our planet than any other woman. She takes us into the harrowing split-second decisions that determine whether a diver makes it back to safety, the prejudices that prevent women from pursuing careers underwater, and her endeavor to recover a fallen friend’s body from the confines of a cave. But there’s beauty beyond the danger of diving, and while Heinerth swims beneath our feet in the lifeblood of our planet, she works with biologists discovering new species, physicists tracking climate change, and hydrogeologists examining our finite freshwater reserves."

Haven't read it yet but Jill Heinerth is a very well known and accomplished tech diver. I'm a big fan of her, as well as diving and exploration books. Anxious to read

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Ok I tried reading the first one. Returned to the library after a few pages. Just didn’t care and the writing was sub-par or seemed that way to me.

Finished Empire of Silence by Ruocchio and liked it a lot despite a few hiccups and miscues. Looking forward to reading the next in the series.

I am Alive!: A United States Marine's Story of Survival in a World war II Japanese POW Camp by Charles R. Jackson

A WWII marine tells a collection of stories of the men he knew serving in the Philippines in 1941 through the POW camps and later in a work camp in Japan through the end of the war.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

One Man's West, Hardcover – 1943 by David Lavender

https://www.amazon.com/mans-West-Dav...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

"The country in which I grew up - the rugged areas of southwestern Colorado - was changing rapidly in the 1930s. I sensed that something unique in the nation's experience was ending, and I tried to capture a segment of the passing on paper - the breakup of the great cattle ranches and mines and the last efforts of the old-timers to hang on in the face of declining profits and increasing mechanization they themselves could not afford" - David Lavender.

Well written history and autobiography of author experiences as a miner, cattle rancher, cowboy in 1930's Colorado and Utah. Even a couple paragraph description about guns and there use.

Highly recommend

I’m sorry I don’t remember who recommended Doc (Dodge City) and Epitah (Tombstone) by Maria Russell because I’d like to thank you personally. They are OUTSTANDING!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I’m sorry I don’t remember who recommended Doc (Dodge City) and Epitah (Tombstone) by Maria Russell because I’d like to thank you personally. They are OUTSTANDING!
    I've read both and agree they were good reads. I may have commented on them here in the past but don't specifically remember.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Banned
    If you like Mary Doria Russell, The Sparrow is an a absolute must read. It’s sci fi...I think I recommended it earlier. It’s absolutely one of the best books I’ve ever read.

I will read Doc and the other soon as I can because if they are half as well done, they’ll be worth my time.
    Last edited by Medusa; 08-28-2019 at 11:05 AM.

The Sparrow is ordered. I’ll be reading it as soon as I finish Epitah.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    It might be a bit early to recommend this since I just started the series, but the author of the Night Angel trilogy is dropping the final book in the Light Bringer series this fall. 5 book series, starting with The Black Prism. I'm about 1/6 of the way through the first book and it's sucking me right along almost as much as Night Angel did.

I'm still listening to Les Miserables audio book while walking, as well.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List