Page 89 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I just read The House of Wolfe by Blake. It took me a little bit to get into it, but I enjoyed it. Thanks for recommending him.
    Blake really sets the stage. It’s like reading the Bible with a kind of “Jacob begat Moses who begat Saul...” kind of thing.

The Wolfe series was the most recent I read. I really enjoyed the series.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Blake really sets the stage. It’s like reading the Bible with a kind of “Jacob begat Moses who begat Saul...” kind of thing.

The Wolfe series was the most recent I read. I really enjoyed the series.
    That’s why I didn’t like the Bible: all of begat this begat that. Moses really needed a new page limit.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

If you're in a western mood I highly recommend Mary Doria Russell's elegiac fictional duology Doc and Epitaph about the Earp's and Holliday.

Doc comes first but Epitaph is free on Kindle Unlimited. I actually read it first.

Go read the introduction to Epitaph-it's a great commentary on the "Streetfight in Tombstone" in and of itself. "30 seconds..."

If you took Tombstone and Wyatt Earp and shuffled them together like a deck of cards...

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    If you're in a western mood I highly recommend Mary Doria Russell's elegiac fictional duology Doc and Epitaph about the Earp's and Holliday.

Doc comes first but Epitaph is free on Kindle Unlimited. I actually read it first.

Go read the introduction to Epitaph-it's a great commentary on the "Streetfight in Tombstone" in and of itself. "30 seconds..."

If you took Tombstone and Wyatt Earp and shuffled them together like a deck of cards...
    I just bought Doc on Kindle. If you have Kindle Unlimited you can read Epitaph for free
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I just bought Doc on Kindle. If you have Kindle Unlimited you can read Epitaph for free
    I thought both books were pretty good when I read them.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Anyone use Kindle Unlimited, and are the books available worth it?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I didn't think so but I don't read a lot of the titles mentioned here...so...not much help.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Yes, and not usually.

I just left KU. Many of us in the author community have had a discussion about how the reading community seems to be split into two camps: KU readers and non-KU readers. KU readers seem to value quantity over quality. Most of them are pretty forgettable books. I've pulled hundreds of books onto my Kindle for market research, and have had no desire to go beyond the first chapter or so of most of them.

When I pulled my books out of KU, I briefly saw a spike in sales, which is the exact opposite of what I expected. It died off pretty quick since I turned off all my marketing as I'm getting my books ready to go "wide" across all platforms. I'm curious to see what happens once I turn the marketing machine back on.

A bunch of us are starting to wonder if the "available in KU" sticker is the kiss of death for readers that are willing to actually pay for a book.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 07-10-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

Book Recommendations

It’s not unlimited reading of any and all books. You get a lot of books that would be $2-3 for ‘free’, but the quality of those is more or less in line with Apple’s free books. Some are gems; most aren’t. Although Kindle does seem to have a whole lot more indie novels in all genres.

I use it to kill a weekend with light, if not entirely memorable, sci-fi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 07-10-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    It’s not unlimited reading of any and all books. You get a lot of books that would be $2-3 for ‘free’, but the quality of those is more or less in line with Apple’s free books. Some are gems; most aren’t. Although Kindle does seem to have a whole lot more indie novels in all genres.

I use it to kill a weekend with light, if not entirely memorable, sci-fi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I should provide the caveat that almost all of my KU reading has been in the mystery/thriller/suspense genre. The bar might be higher or lower in different genres.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List