Page 85 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Terms of Enlistment would be the starting point for that series.
    Thanks. As it happens I see the series in my want to read shelf from goodreads from some time ago. Will get to it in the next little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Thank you; read it some time ago. Edit. I see gave it two stars on goodreads. Recall some problematic elements. That’s a below average rating from me. I love military sci fi and Vietnam war history, but that book rubbed me the wrong way.

I understand there’s a sequel but the reviews aren’t promising. At some point I might see if the library has it.
    There's at least two iterations of it that I know of. I believe the movie rights have been optioned as well.
    #RESIST

I started reading The Terminal List by Jack Carr and so far am liking it. Similar to Vince Flynn, Brad Thor type thrillers but darker.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    There's at least two iterations of it that I know of. I believe the movie rights have been optioned as well.
    Movies are virtually never as good as the books, but which one was optioned?

I looked back at my highlights and notes from Forever War and remembered why I didn’t like it. It seems unlikely I’ll spend time with the sequel. If the movie has the same stance on things as the book, I’ll be skipping that as well.

Movies are virtually never as good as the books, but which one was optioned?

I looked back at my highlights and notes from Forever War and remembered why I didn’t like it. It seems unlikely I’ll spend time with the sequel. If the movie has the same stance on things as the book, I’ll be skipping that as well.
    I couldn't tell you on which iteration it was. Apparently Ridley Scott bought the movie options, but the movie itself fizzled out.
    #RESIST

Thank you; read it some time ago. Edit. I see gave it two stars on goodreads. Recall some problematic elements. That’s a below average rating from me. I love military sci fi and Vietnam war history, but that book rubbed me the wrong way.

I understand there’s a sequel but the reviews aren’t promising. At some point I might see if the library has it.
    Are you strictly in a sci-fi mood? I just did a mental inventory of my favorites (I need to dust off my GoodReads account) and I think my top 3-5 books aren’t all sci-fi.
    #RESIST

Banned
    Are you strictly in a sci-fi mood? I just did a mental inventory of my favorites (I need to dust off my GoodReads account) and I think my top 3-5 books aren’t all sci-fi.
    If you find me on goodreads you’ll see I read and have a very broad range of stuff (what I have on there is by no means complete), but I do enjoy sci fi a great deal and read a lot of it, for its ability to take issues from today and cast them in interesting lights, to illustrate other ways of being and looking at things, etc.

I’ll gratefully entertain any suggestions you have. That’s what’s good about this thread, which I make an exception for in terms of the general forum. I’ve found some good books here, made some suggestions others have appreciated, even met an author through here.
    Last edited by Medusa; 06-27-2019 at 04:30 PM.

If you find me on goodreads you’ll see I read and have a very broad range of stuff (what I have on there is by no means complete), but I do enjoy sci fi a great deal and read a lot of it, for its ability to take issues from today and cast them in interesting lights, to illustrate other ways of being and looking at things, etc.

I’ll gratefully entertain any suggestions you have. That’s what’s good about this thread, which I make an exception for in terms of the general forum. I’ve found some good books here, made some suggestions others have appreciated, even met an author through here.
    I simply cannot recommend Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel enough. I’m sure that you’ve already read it, but just in case...

If you’re in a sci-fi mood, the Cloak of Aesir is a great and short old school sci-fi read. Also, Thirteen by Richard K Morgan is great, I liked it even better than Altered Carbon.
    #RESIST

Banned
    Thanks. I’ll have a look at the first two, see if the library has them.

I believe I’ve read everything Richard Morgan has published.

I simply cannot recommend Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel enough. I’m sure that you’ve already read it, but just in case...
    I can't tell you how disappointed I've been that book three of the trilogy, "The Mirror and the Light" is still not yet available. Sigh.

Cromwell deserves to have his story completed.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List