Page 83 of 233 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Just finished Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. Bit of slow going at first, and the story jumps around from different perspectives (and decades, what with cryosleep and cybernetic/nano enhancements being common) but it all comes together nicely. It’s got an interesting answer to the Fermi Paradox. You could just read the summary on Wikipedia if you’d like to know what that is, but it’s not the same experience as reading the book.

And in the same universe, there’s the novella Diamond Dogs. You can read this as a stand-alone without reading Revelation Space. Basically there’s a planet with nothing on it except a huge alien tower, and each room has a puzzle. If you solve it, you move on. If you don’t...you die. Kinda like Cube. What’s the prize for beating the game? Nobody knows, but it’s gotta be pretty good right?

Pre-ordered this: Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead by Jim Mattis and Bing West

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very much looking forward to reading it.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I read and enjoyed Tin Men, a near ish future sci fi book by Christopher Golden. It posits the United States possessing the ability to project human controlled drone soldiers all over the world, in the service of United States interests and goals, unilaterally, and without effective response by others - until suddenly, there is a response. It’s an entertaining read and manages, for the most part, to capture the ambiguity and tensions that arise from unilateral us supremacy. Also, fighting mechs, so fun. Decent book.

I will have to snag that. One of my nephew's is turning into a scifi fan. I gave him my first edition hardback copy of Dune as a birthday present today.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Two books that I remember fondly: Stand By-y-y to Start Engines and Cap'n Fatso by David Gallery.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Two books that I remember fondly: Stand By-y-y to Start Engines and Cap'n Fatso by David Gallery.
    Everybody needs to go to Amazon and click the "I want to buy this on Kindle!" link for these titles, and Admiral Dan Gallery's other titles. .
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Hellena View Post
    And what about blogs? Do you read any?
    I'm a fan of this one:
    https://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/ even though the Blog Operator is a known industry shill.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Everybody needs to go to Amazon and click the "I want to buy this on Kindle!" link for these titles, and Admiral Dan Gallery's other titles. .
    Didn't know you could do that. FWIW, I also put in requests for Unrepentant Sinner by Askins, Unintended Consequences by Ross, and Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Continuing on the Mech theme. Read and enjoyed William Keith Jr.’s Warstrider, and will continue the series. I’m sort of surprised I hadn’t come across these years ago.

Started John Steakley’s Armor, another military sci fi book often compared with Heinlein’s Starship Troopers. So far it’s much more nuanced, though being more nuanced than Heinlein is a low bar.

Have you tried Marko Kloos' books yet? Tam turned me onto them, and they are excellent. He has a new series starting next month.

User Tag List