Page 82 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

I recently read You Don't Lose 'Til You Stop Trying by Sammy Lee Davis with Carolina Lambert.

I met Medal Of Honor recipient Sammy Davis at one of the old Second Chance Bowling Pin Shoots. Talked to him
    a few times. My oldest son got to shoot some of the deer slugs that Mr. Davis was promoting at the shoot.
    It's been many years but my son still remembers Mr. Davis.

Found out more in the book than I did talking to Mr. Davis. Including the fact that during the action for which he
    was recognized he was hit by both enemy and "friendly fire."

Worth reading.

Straying away from my usual haunts.....

"Fear is the Mind Killer" by Kaja Sadowski. Once you get past the title it's a straightforward guide to building a positive environment for martial arts training -- everything from policies to motor learning science to stress testing, with an emphasis on non-traditional students. I'm not qualified to critique it but I found some things that'll help me with other sports I like to teach.

"Roar" by Stacy Sims. I heard the author on a bicycling podcast about how female physiology affects athletic performance (https://www.velonews.com/2019/05/tra...cy-sims_493960), was interested, picked up her book. At first glance it looks like just another women's diet & exercise guide, but goes much deeper into the the details -- not just "eat more protein" but "women need more of this amino acid for recovery and here's why", how the hormonal cycle affects hydration, etc. Refreshing in that there is zero emphasis on weight loss or appearance -- it's all about optimizing performance. Might be useful for female endurance athletes.

Taliban Safari

Taliban Safari

Recently released.

Reviews are good on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
    Taliban Safari

Recently released.

Reviews are good on Amazon.
    Highly recommended. The author is one of us.
    #RESIST

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I requested that our library buy Reflections of a Warrior.

Finished the three books by Kent Anderson a while back. I liked them all, minus some important dings, but the first for me was the best.

Read a trilogy by lgbt sci fi author Melissa Scott (the Silence Leigh trilogy). Very original in parts, but not her best.

Can’t remember if I mentioned that I’d finished the third of pf’s own Lester Polufs’ Dent Miller books. Enjoyed it. If you have kindle unlimited, get them.

Listened to an audible member freebie short story, The Dispatcher by John Scalzi. A worthy entertainment, less bombastic than one expects of Scalzi.

On a whim because it was inexplicably in the local dollar store as a “mystery” for three bucks, picked up Rome: Destroy Carthage by phd historian David Gibbins, a historical novel about the period roughly 168 to 146 bc. It’s rich in historical detail including about weapons and tactics of the era, and I enjoyed it.

In that vein, picked up Imperium, by Robert Harris, another historical novel set in Rome.

Also got The Reaper, by Irving Nicholas, an autobiographical account of a present day sniper, from the library.

We have an amazing library system.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Have you read “Reflections of a Warrior” by Franklyn Miller Rapid Butterfly? If you haven’t I’m sure you’d like it. It’s about his six years in Vietnam. He covers his time in a scout platoon and MACVSOG where he was awarded the MOH. He’s got some very funny stories as well as some sad ones. The chapter covering the event where he gets the MOH is outstanding!

Nice Rapid Butterfly. I’m glad you liked it. I would’ve liked to have met Miller.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Also got The Reaper, by Irving Nicholas, an autobiographical account of a present day sniper, from the library.
    I've seen him on Demolition Ranch and I've been wanting to read his books. I've got a decent backlog of books I got from the thrift store though so I haven't bought them yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    About Face.
    and
    Steel My Soldiers Hearts.

Col David Hackworth
    Agreed, especially About Face. Read it a couple of times, pre-kids. Now I just wish they’d put it on Audible. Wolfhounds!

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I've seen him on Demolition Ranch and I've been wanting to read his books. I've got a decent backlog of books I got from the thrift store though so I haven't bought them yet.
    It’s a decent book in terms of content; some compelling tales. Writing and editing are sloppy. Worth getting from the library.

Read Imperium, by Robert Harris. A fictional account of Cato, the Roman politician. Well done but a touch dry for me to want to continue the series.

Read Hero of Rome, by Douglas Jackson. Highly recommended. The first is a novel set in Roman occupied Britain during Nero’s reign. Lots of historical detail, and a worthy read. I’m continuing with the series.

I just bought Hero of Rome. It’s a $1.99 on Kindle. I just started On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List