Page 81 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    Good book?
    So far. I learned about it in this thread.
    "So far" lasted about a third of the way.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

"So far" lasted about a third of the way.
    I’ve got it reserved on Overdrive I’ll let ya know how it goes.

Heh

My spouse, who possesses a puckish sense of humor, just gave a fresh copy of Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser to my 76- year-old mom.
    Mom's usually a chick-lit reader.
    Hilarity might ensue.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    My spouse, who possesses a puckish sense of humor, just gave a fresh copy of Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser to my 76- year-old mom.
    Mom's usually a chick-lit reader.
    Hilarity might ensue.
    I've only read the first one or two books in the series. Should I endeavor to read them all or is just more of the same?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've only read the first one or two books in the series. Should I endeavor to read them all or is just more of the same?
    Sort of like the Evanovitch "Stephanie Plum" series, One for the Money, etc. Once you get past #5 or #6, it's the same shit with minor variations.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Sort of like the Evanovitch "Stephanie Plum" series, One for the Money, etc. Once you get past #5 or #6, it's the same shit with minor variations.
    Unfortunately, that doesn't give me much context but for the "once you get past #5...". Point taken. Thanks.

It's probably quite rare that a series can maintain a standard of excellence throughout.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Actually a pretty good book.

It's probably quite rare that a series can maintain a standard of excellence throughout.
    It seems that a lot of book series get to the point that no matter what dreck an author puts out, it'll be published and become a best-seller.

{Cough}Looking at you, Kate Scarpetta/Patricia Cornwell{/Cough}

Quote Originally Posted by Tirofijo2001 View Post
    The Unthinkable - Who Survives When Disaster Strikes

http://www.amazon.com/The-Unthinkabl.../dp/0307352900

Similar to Deep Survival, but focuses more on who survives natural disasters/terrorist attacks/traumatic situations and why. (Rather than "survival" situations like in Deep Survival.)

I've found some good nuggets in it.

(Remember in the Korea Air crash in San Fran that some passengers took the time to grab their carryon bags when they were supposed to be evacuating? Turns out it's pretty common.
    Just finished reading The Unthinkable. Some very good anecdotes in it such as the brief interview with Jim Cirillo and the final chapter about Rick Rescorla .
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 06-05-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Did you enjoy the Richard Lester (Oliver Reed/Raquel Welch/Michael York/Charlton Heston) Three and Four Musketeers? He did the screenplays, and exhibit the same, um, sensibility.
    His memoirs of WWII, Quartered Safe Out Here, are interesting, as is his history of the Scottish and English Borderers, The Steel Bonnets.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List