Page 7 of 235 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Nik the Greek View Post
    Frank Herbert - Dune
    Heh, I see you didn't list anything beyond the first book. I think the Dune series is worth reading up to Children of Dune; the rest just go off into the deep end, with Chapterhouse: Dune being just straight up bad.

Some personal favorites of mine are:
    The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien
    All Quiet on the Western Front, by Erich Maria Remarque (translation by Arthur Wesley Wheen)
    Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda, by LGen Roméo Dallaire
    Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the Tenth Dimension, by Michio Kaku (a bit dated, but still damn mind blowing; perhaps subbing in one of Kaku's newer books would be better)
    The Dark Tower series, by Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The Dark Tower series, by Stephen King
    I'm torn on this. I think Wizard and Glass was one of King's best novels ever, but the series is all over the place. Book 3 was just boring, and 5 6 and 7 felt rushed. I absolutely hated the ending (the portion after King warns the reader not to continue). I still think Roland is a compelling character, but King needs to get back on the sauce to write him well.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I'm torn on this. I think Wizard and Glass was one of King's best novels ever, but the series is all over the place. Book 3 was just boring, and 5 6 and 7 felt rushed. I absolutely hated the ending (the portion after King warns the reader not to continue). I still think Roland is a compelling character, but King needs to get back on the sauce to write him well.
    Well, IMO, King's always had a knack for making his ending to be extremely... unfulfilled, to say the least. Really sad how often he relies on a deus ex machina to end a story, considering how good a storyteller he is on all other points. As for the books being boring/rushed, can't say I agree, but meh, de gustibus non est disputandum. Either way, I find the series as a whole a very interesting attempt at universe creation, particularly how he ties in the rest of his books. Which reminds me, I need to get a hold of The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Well, IMO, King's always had a knack for making his ending to be extremely... unfulfilled, to say the least. Really sad how often he relies on a deus ex machina to end a story, considering how good a storyteller he is on all other points. As for the books being boring/rushed, can't say I agree, but meh, de gustibus non est disputandum. Either way, I find the series as a whole a very interesting attempt at universe creation, particularly how he ties in the rest of his books. Which reminds me, I need to get a hold of The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole.
    I really enjoyed the endings of IT, Salem's Lot, and a few others, but he does have a tendency to have quirky endings.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I really enjoyed the endings of IT, Salem's Lot, and a few others, but he does have a tendency to have quirky endings.
    If you read his book, On Writing , I think it's pretty clear this is a function of his method. Some authors plan things out, he just writes. I actually liked the very end of the Dark Tower series, but agree the last book felt rushed.
    Sheep Have Wool

Heh, I see you didn't list anything beyond the first book.
    Ayep. I think it works well on its own.

So, as an interesting footnote, I read Cooper's principles of self defense, and I kept thinking to myself "This is all incredibly familiar." The same philosophies and principles he espouses directly drove my Krav Maga training. Right down the line.

I thought that was pretty cool. Gonna check out To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth next.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik the Greek View Post
    Ayep. I think it works well on its own.

So, as an interesting footnote, I read Cooper's principles of self defense, and I kept thinking to myself "This is all incredibly familiar." The same philosophies and principles he espouses directly drove my Krav Maga training. Right down the line.

I thought that was pretty cool. Gonna check out To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth next.
    All three volumes of "Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip" are a good read too.

And yes, I'm a fan of the Colonel. Yeah, he certainly had his shortcomings (as do we all) but damn if the man wasn't right about a great many things.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

The sequel to Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel is out!

Wolf Hall is in my top 5 and I'm tearing through Bring Up the Bodies with pleasure.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    The Red Circle - Brandon Webb
    I have it from a reliable source that many of the events in this work did not happen the way it is told/represented, essentially classifying it as "fact based fiction" to a degree. Lots of taking credit for other people's work.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 09-05-2012 at 01:01 AM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I have it from a reliable source that many of the events in this work did not happen the way it is told/represented, essentially classifying it as "fact based fiction" to a degree. Lots of taking credit for other people's work.
    Bummer, seemed like a stand up guy when he was editor of kitup and now sofrep.

User Tag List