Page 59 of 235 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Richard Sharpe Novels

Just finished Sharpe’s Devil, I’ve been binge reading all of Bernard Cornwell’s Sharpe series over the course of the summer. I definitely enjoyed them, even if they started to get a little bit formulaic at times. I finished with a good understanding of the Peninsular War, and Cornwell does a good job capturing the day to day life of a British Infantryman through that conflict. For those who are unfamiliar with the series, it roughly follows the career of Arthur Wellesley from his time in India through his triumph at Waterloo using a fictional subordinate of his, Richard Sharpe, who rises from a Private Soldier in India to his gaining a commission and fighting as an officer through the war.
    Last edited by Moshjath; 09-17-2018 at 02:54 PM.

I really liked Sharpe’s Trafalger which takes place as he’s traveling back to Britain from India.

My favorite is Sharpe’s Eagle.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I really liked Sharpe’s Trafalger which takes place as he’s traveling back to Britain from India.

My favorite is Sharpe’s Eagle.
    Agreed on both accounts.

If you ever read the Starbucks Chronicles, set in the US Civil War, there just happens to be a French Chasseur Colonel there as an observer who speaks perfect English with a British accent and carries a British Heavy Cavalry Sword...

I need to read that series.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Some stuff in there that makes me raise an eyebrow, but all in all a pretty good series. His "Detroit" series of historicals is pretty good, too. (Link goes to Kindle edition of all 7 volumes.)

Everyone who grew up in Detroit with family in Southeastern Michigan during Prohibition has stories about their uncle who allegedly drove his Model T across the iced-over Detroit River to stock up on Canadian whiskey. In some cases it might be true.

But if you read STRESS*, the telling of the making of The Betsey (a really shitty Laurence Olivier movie) and the shootout in Judge Del Rio's courtroom are pretty much true.

*Detroit PD program "Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets."
    I just read STRESS. I’d say it was rather padded. For example, with regard to the wealthy auto family that was the victim of two crimes, the book really didn’t need a four or six page exposition of the family’s history back to the 1840s.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 09-24-2018 at 05:43 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Does anyone have a link to a source for the STRESS book? I couldn't seem to find it on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    Does anyone have a link to a source for the STRESS book? I couldn't seem to find it on Amazon.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...838130&sr=8-25
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Thank you, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    A Yankee Private's Civil War by Robert Hale Strong. I got a copy by interlibrary loan, as the hardcover edition is long out of print. A paperback and Kindle edition were released a few years go.

I think anyone interested in that war should seriously consider reading the book. Especially for the part at the end when the returning soldiers were one provocation away from burning Chicago to the ground.
    I just finished this book. I highly recommend it too. It’s 258 pages on Kindle and I read it fast. It reminded me of Reflections of a Warrior by Franklyn Miller about his Vietnam experiences.

Thanks for the recommendation Stephanie!

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Does that series need to be read in a particular order?

User Tag List