Page 52 of 235 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Thanks! Do we need to start a p-f authors club?
    That could be fun. If we did it on site, I suppose we'd need to be sponsors.

So it is a young teen ish book series but I'm on book 9 and there are more-

The Rangers Apprentice by John Flanagan. I started the series less than a month ago and they aren't short books.

Ships of Oak, Guns of Iron by Ronald Utt

Did you grow up reading C.S. Forrester (Horatio Hornblower) or Patrick O'Brian (Aubrey-Maturin)? This nonfiction book calls those books to mind. These are the true stories of the major naval engagements during the war of 1812 (land engagements are also included to help give a feel for the whole war, but the focus is on the navy). The book is an emotional rollercoaster. I hated the British, loved the Americans, and wept for the British and Americans.

Edited to add: I don't remember where this book was recommended. If it was someone here ... thank you.
    Last edited by Kukuforguns; 08-08-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga Kindle Edition by Hunter S. Thompson (Author)
    One of Amazon's Kindle deals today. $1.99
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 08-09-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga Kindle Edition by Hunter S. Thompson (Author)
    One of Amazon's Kindle deals today. $1.99
    That book is so good. I might have to rerererereread it after I finish Gene Wolfs Urth of the New Sun books again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Aluminum Rain by S. E. Belser. (One of our own on the P.F.)

5 of 5 stars.

This a cerebral work that follows a thin trail of evidence. Sam Hawkins is a private detective hired to look into a plane crash, first labeled as an accident due to mechanical failure. Sam’s client has doubts, and Sam soon comes to agree.
    S. E. Belser is a pilot and lawyer, among other things. That background allows her the insight to produce what feels like a very realistic story. I suspect an actual detective would find her depiction accurate. She tells the story without gratuitous sex, language, and violence, focusing rather on the intellectual challenge.
    I found this to be an enjoyable, well crafted story. Well worth buying and reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    Aluminum Rain by S. E. Belser. (One of our own on the P.F.)

5 of 5 stars.

This a cerebral work that follows a thin trail of evidence. Sam Hawkins is a private detective hired to look into a plane crash, first labeled as an accident due to mechanical failure. Sam’s client has doubts, and Sam soon comes to agree.
    S. E. Belser is a pilot and lawyer, among other things. That background allows her the insight to produce what feels like a very realistic story. I suspect an actual detective would find her depiction accurate. She tells the story without gratuitous sex, language, and violence, focusing rather on the intellectual challenge.
    I found this to be an enjoyable, well crafted story. Well worth buying and reading.
    Hmmm, I need to look into this series. Surprised I missed the memo.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

A few weeks ago I read The Tiger by John Valliant.

Short story it’s about an Amur tiger in Siberia that was shot and injured by a poacher. Tiger tracks down the mans scent to his home, destroys the mans trailer, and waits 12-24 hours for the man to return, then kills and eats him and the aftermath

Book also made we got I lucky in the states, only having to deal with brown bears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    {Smooches}

Thank you!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    {Smooches}

Thank you!
    In the words of the great Dobie Gillis: "Now cut that out!"

There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List