Page 51 of 233 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I finally finished "Wolf Hall". I didn't really get into it like many here have. The writing is good but it's so...dense. Maybe since I know the outcome, and maybe due to the presentation, I just never really got interested in the characters. I breezed through "Trapped" in the Iron Druid series, a pulp-fiction fantasy set in modern day that's sort of a hybrid of Neil Gaiman's American Gods and the Dresden Files (although honestly I recommend both of those over Iron Druid).

Has anyone got any input on this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0345536932/ it was referred to in something else I read and I put it on my wishlist. I'm thinking of starting it next.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    'The Taste of War,' by Lizzie Collingham

Absolutely fascinating study of the role of food in WWII. You would think it would be boring but it's not. It's a good read. It points out the role of food needs in causing the war and the genocidal planned use of starving that was planned by Germany, if they won. Also examines all the other main participants.

The Great Boer War Interesting read about warfare where 19th century tactics clashed with 20th century technology.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Discourses by Epictetus translated by Robin Hard.

If you want to graduate from just reading memes about Stoicism and are into the Martial Path, Epictetus is the guy. Seneca if you want to be a businessman or politician. Marcus Aurelius for leadership.
    Last edited by Otaku.edc; 07-26-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    I just finished "Rose City Free Fall" by DL Barbur. (Actually one of our own here on the PF.) I gave it 5 stars on Amazon and Good reads.
    It's a good story, well told. It is realistic, lacking the many ridiculous mistakes in so many books and movies, written by people who's only actual experience with violence is books and movies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The Western Star by Craig Johnson, which is # 12 or 13 in the Longmire series.
    l
    I really do with that the series would not have gotten into some arc about damn international hitman with a hardon for Longmire. The stories would have been just peachy without that.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    I just finished "Rose City Free Fall" by DL Barbur. (Actually one of our own here on the PF.)
    Just downloaded it. And {cough}, he's not the only one on PF.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    The Great Boer War Interesting read about warfare where 19th century tactics clashed with 20th century technology.
    $1.99 on Kindle right now

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Food: What the Heck Should I Eat? - If you try to eat healthy, you may have noticed that a number of advisory organizations have done total 180s on long standing dietary guidelines in the past few years, especially with regards to things like saturated fat and cholesterol. This book explains that shift and more.

This isn't a diet book or a guide to losing weight, it's a book about the science of why healthy food is healthy and why unhealthy food is unhealthy. Basically, just about everything we've been told about what to eat over the last forty years has been somewhere between "not exactly right" to "devastatingly, catastrophically incorrect." And we're not just talking about generic "don't eat junk food" insights, the science goes way deeper than that.

If you want to know why Americans keep getting fatter and sicker, start here. I think this is a book everyone should read, and most folks in my family will be getting this as a stocking stuffer this year.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The Western Star by Craig Johnson, which is # 12 or 13 in the Longmire series.
    l
    I really do with that the series would not have gotten into some arc about damn international hitman with a hardon for Longmire. The stories would have been just peachy without that.
    Not that Craig Johnson cares what I think, but if I were to sit down with him over a beer, I would tell him exactly that. He's at his best dealing with the small town, local stuff. Once he got into the big-time international criminal conspiracy, he left his lane.

It's still Walt though, and I'll still read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Just downloaded it. And {cough}, he's not the only one on PF.
    Thanks! Do we need to start a p-f authors club?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List