Page 43 of 234 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    I liked it and will buy the next one when it's ready. I do have a question about the end though: What happened to the guy who was chilling by cover with a revolver being worthless? Unless I missed something we hadn't gotten any update on him after that (highlight to read in case of spoilers)
    Thanks! #2 should be out sometime in March. Buoyed by the success of #1, I just paid for a professional edit of both books, so the release date is a still little fluid depending on the timing of all that.

Highlight for answer to spoiler question: LOL. I did leave old Mickey kind of sitting there in the field, didn't I? He may actually show up again, and be a problem for Dent and Co, but not for a another book or two.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 12-13-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Just started reading Glock: The Rise of America's Gun

https://www.amazon.com/Glock-America.../dp/B004X6PRXC

Fascinating read. Even if you have been with Glock from the beginning, a lot of nice details and backstories. I haven't finished yet, half way through, but it's loaded with great background/details.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Sue Grafton, the author of the "alphabet" series of detective novels, died yesterday at age 77.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I asked for (and got) American Buffalo by Steven Rinella for Christmas and I've chewed through it pretty quickly. Really enjoyed it and I'd highly recommend it.

The thing I appreciated but didn't really know about going in to the book was that Rinella spends a lot more time researching and discussing the history of the buffalo than discussing his hunt, but he weaves the two tales together well. The research shed a lot of interesting history on the buffalo that I wasn't aware and I thoroughly enjoyed that. If I had to guess the book was 75% history and 25% his hunt, but considering how much history there is to the buffalo and it's influence on the topography & cultures of America, he could have written an even longer and more involved history only book, so the restraint he showed by shedding historical light without going overboard was well done. And read the footnotes - there is usually one or two per chapter and they're very interesting.

Name:  51ylKxsThGL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  43.3 KB
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by chingy98 View Post
    Just started reading Glock: The Rise of America's Gun

https://www.amazon.com/Glock-America.../dp/B004X6PRXC

Fascinating read. Even if you have been with Glock from the beginning, a lot of nice details and backstories. I haven't finished yet, half way through, but it's loaded with great background/details.
    Seconded; given the impact of Glock on American SFA pistols, it’s especially relevant. The fact that it’s pretty interesting, as well as being easy to read is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Seconded; given the impact of Glock on American SFA pistols, it’s especially relevant. The fact that it’s pretty interesting, as well as being easy to read is great.
    Finished the book. It's great. Like I said, a great book for a lot of backstories to the Glock.

I moved on to the Red Dot Club. Excellent, too, about LEO involved shootings from the first perspective.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Sue Grafton, the author of the "alphabet" series of detective novels, died yesterday at age 77.
    We just finished reading "Y". I've read them all. Too many good authors have died in recent years.

The Marko Kloos "Frontlines" series is on sale at the Kindle store. I've enjoyed them all. Good military sci-fi.
    -------------------
    POINTS OF IMPACT was picked by the Amazon Books editors to be a featured “Best Books of the Month” selection for January. It will be released officially on January 9, which is in…uh, six days already. Yikes.

But that’s not all, friends and neighbors. Over at Crazy Jeff’s Electronic Book Emporium (a.k.a. the Kindle store), the other five books of the Frontlines series are on sale for $1.99 each for the entire month of January. That’s five books for ten bucks total, which means that if someone wanted to buy the whole series on Kindle, they’d be out only $14.94 this month.

http://www.markokloos.com/?p=1893

I'm nearing the end of the first book of the "Flashman Papers" series and I can't get over how apropos it is relative to the present day quagmire in Afghanistan. (In which "same as it ever was" has been par for the course over the centuries. Funny how that works. (Though not funny ha ha.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The Marko Kloos "Frontlines" series is on sale at the Kindle store. I've enjoyed them all. Good military sci-fi.
    -------------------
    POINTS OF IMPACT was picked by the Amazon Books editors to be a featured “Best Books of the Month” selection for January. It will be released officially on January 9, which is in…uh, six days already. Yikes.

But that’s not all, friends and neighbors. Over at Crazy Jeff’s Electronic Book Emporium (a.k.a. the Kindle store), the other five books of the Frontlines series are on sale for $1.99 each for the entire month of January. That’s five books for ten bucks total, which means that if someone wanted to buy the whole series on Kindle, they’d be out only $14.94 this month.

http://www.markokloos.com/?p=1893
    +1000 on this. And the Audible versions are excellent as well. Narrator is a guy named Luke Daniels, who uses a pretty impressive array of voices for the various characters.

User Tag List