Page 41 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

The Lies of Locke Lamora.
    *Starred Review* On a distant world, orphan Locke Lamora is sold into a crew of thieves and con artists. Soon his natural gifts make him an underworld celebrity, leader of the flamboyantly larcenous Gentleman Bandits. But there is someone who covets Locke's talents, his success, his very life, forcing him to put everything on the line to protect himself. With a world so vividly realized that it's positively tactile, and characters so richly drawn that they threaten to walk right off the page, this is one of those novels that reaches out and grabs readers, pulling us into the middle of the action. With this debut novel, Lynch immediately establishes himself as a gifted and fearless storyteller, unafraid of comparisons to Silverberg and Jordan, not to mention David Liss and even Dickens (the parallels to Oliver Twist offer an appealing extra dimension to the story, although the novel is no mere reimagining of that Victorian classic). Fans of lavishly appointed fantasy will be in seventh heaven here, but it will be nearly as popular with readers of literary crime fiction. This is a true genre bender, at home on almost any kind of fiction shelf. Expect it to be among the year's most impressive debuts. David Pitt
    Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved
    Three novels so far in the series. Very well written. Takes place in a fictional universe where magic exists, but is not common. Thus, the solution to most problems is wit and steel. The protagonist prefers wit. His best friend slings the steel.

That sounds good. It’s two dollars on Kindle and it’s purchased
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

@Kukuforguns The Lies of Locke Lamora is awesome. Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    My new release, Rose City Free Fall is out on Kindle:

Rose City Free Fall

Big thanks to Tom for being ok with me plugging my wares here on P-F.

Before anybody asks, yes I know the guy's finger is on the trigger on the cover. I'll ask my cover artist not to do that next time...
    Just bought it to read on my flight
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Just bought it to read on my flight
    Thanks!

If you like it, reviews on Amazon are always appreciated. Sales are going better than I expected, but reviews, as usual are slow to come in.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

The Fate of Africa: A History of the Continent Since Independence, Martin Meredith. Absolutely fantastic. Kind of a niche topic judging from the amount of bookshelf space it takes up, and it may be intimidatingly lengthy but it's well written, readable, and entertaining--particularly in that "can't look away from a car crash" sort of way. No happy endings here (except for Botswana, for some reason) but enlightening all the same.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

The Art of Worldly Wisdom by Balthasar Gracian. Sort of like Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, but from a 17th century Spanish Jesuit priest. The book is full of good advice.

I’m starting Book 2 of the Gentleman Bastards ie Locke Lamora. It’s Red Seas Under Red Skies. I’m looking forward to this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I’m starting Book 2 of the Gentleman Bastards ie Locke Lamora. It’s Red Seas Under Red Skies. I’m looking forward to this book.
    Amazon lured you in with the $2 price for the first book. Glad you are enjoying the series. I've found many books that I've enjoyed from this thread. It's nice to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
    Amazon lured you in with the $2 price for the first book. Glad you are enjoying the series. I've found many books that I've enjoyed from this thread. It's nice to contribute.
    Yes they did. I saw it’s going to be a seven book series with some short stories too.

User Tag List