Page 39 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

I just finished Go! Go! Go! about the 1980 SAS operation to end the siege of the Iranian Embassy in Princes Gate. Best $2.99 I've spent on Kindle. Excellent book - full of details on the operation. Great companion to the movie Six Days.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Just finished Radical: My Journey out of Islamist Extremism by Maajid Nawaz. Could've used tighter editing, took a few chapters to get interesting, but worth it for the unique perspective on the topic. Overall recommended. Also just finished A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide by Samantha Power. Only took me 6 months. Terrific writer and a very good book but it's a heavy subject (obviously). Highly recommended regardless.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by modrecoil View Post
    Just finished Radical: My Journey out of Islamist Extremism by Maajid Nawaz.
    I thought it was a pretty solid book. It busts a lot of myths on how Radical Islam spreads, and among who, in Europe (and by extension in the US).

I just finished Rory Miller's "ConCom" on communications and found it a worthwhile read. I read the first chapter of "Wolf Hall" based on recommendations in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I read the first chapter of "Wolf Hall" based on recommendations in this thread.
    "Wolf Hall" is an excellent book, imho. The sequel, "Bring Up the Bodies", equally so. I am looking forward (hopefully) to the eventual release of "The Mirror and the Light".

(There are a lot of characters to familiarize yourself with. When I read the first volume I printed out a list for reference so I didn't have to go darting back and forth in the e-book. I found it helpful and shortly thereafter didn't need it.)
    Last edited by blues; 09-05-2017 at 07:52 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I finished the last book in Andy McNab's [
    Nick Stone series last week. Out of 16 books, some were much more engaging than others, but none were so bad as to convince me to give up on them. Just started "House of Spies" by Daniel Silva 3 days ago. I've read all of the Gabriel Allon series, and they're decent enough entertainment, but if you're looking for more than that you'll likely be disappointed. I'm 38% (kindle) into this one, and its ok so far, but there was the tiniest bit of "mysticism," for lack of a better word, thrown in that kind of left a sour taste in my mouth. I'll still finish it though, and will probably not feel that I wasted my time. After that I think I have the last Jack Teacher book to read, and then I'll be on a search for a new espionage-type series to dig in to.
    Last edited by Paltares8; 09-05-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Just started Last Bus To Wisdom by the late Ivan Doig.
    It was published in 2015 but I didn't hear about it till a few
    weeks ago. Bought it as soon as I found out about it.

Enjoying it.

I ordered/purchased Never Call Me a Hero. It looks good. I read a lot about the Pacific naval war growing up. It's next on the list after I finish On Wings Of Eagles. Thanks LL!

Which reminds me I just reread Once an Eagle. As always it was dusty in the room at the end. It's about time to reread The Forgotten Soldier too.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Amazon has The Warrior Ethos by Steven Pressfield (Gates of Fire, Legend of Bagger Vance, etc. as a Kindle deal of the day. Fri, 9-27-17
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Splitting my time between Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand and Don Quixote. Both outstanding!
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

I just read Street Warrior. It's about Rob Friedman, NYPDs most decorated detective. Also, reading Dune again.

User Tag List