Page 22 of 233 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Early Tim Powers is rather weird. Late Tim Powers is very weird. The last one I attempted in a long time was 'Medusa's Web' and I almost put it down until I got into the story.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

https://www.amazon.com/Peoples-Repub...e%27s+republic

America’s growing political and cultural divisions have finally split the United States apart. Now, as the former blue states begin to collapse under the dead weight of their politically correct tyranny, a lethal operative haunted by his violent past undertakes one last mission to infiltrate and take out his target in the nightmarish city of Los Angeles, deep in the heart of the People’s Republic of North America.

------

Good fast read. I hope there's more planned!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Started Why Leaders Eat Last, just finished #askgaryvee

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Olympics by Daniel James Brown

Great story and incredibly well written. I'm very glad a friend who rowed crew in college recommended it. Had she not suggested it I might have skipped over it. I liked it so much I bought copies for several friends and relatives for Christmas.

Site Supporter
    I've been reading the Charles Stross series about the Laundry - a British secret agency to fight incursions from the Elder Gods like Cthulhu.

Their issue weapons are Glock 17s, Hands of Glory and a Basilisk (turn you to stone) software app in digital cameras. Kind of fun. Best weapon carried - a violin made of human bones taken from living victims. When played - you are not going to have a good day.

Oh, they have a geas that makes the 17 and holster invisible to the general public - so that eases carry and printing issues.

So this is available for pre-order:

https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Talk...+armed+defense
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

If youre looking for recreational reading rather than thoughtful stuff, I just started reading Lee Childs Jack Reacher series. Good, easy, fun reading.

Just finished Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. Good read. Haven't read WW2 historical books for a while. Have to dive in again.
    Last edited by Lon; 02-02-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Just finished Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. Good read. Haven't read WW2 historical books for a while. Have to dive in again.
    If you liked that, may I recommend The Fleet at Flood Tide?

https://www.amazon.com/Fleet-Flood-T...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

Also, this one is good as well:

Neptune's Inferno: The US Navy at Guadalcanal

https://www.amazon.com/Neptunes-Infe...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

Have been listening to a number of Bernard Cornwells historical fiction works. Started with Agincourt, then 1356, then a number of the series in 900s Britain, Sword Song, The Flame Bearer, Warriors of the Storm, and others. Been good fun.

ETA: The Archers Tale was also pretty good.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-02-2017 at 07:18 PM.

User Tag List