Hunting al Qaeda- Anonymous

Hell, I was There- Elmer Keith

Beyond Band of Brothers- Major Dick Winters

The only thing Worth Dying for- Eric Blehm

No Angel- Jay Dobbins

Where Men Win Glory The Odyssey of Pat Tillman- Jon Krakauer

The Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip and #2- Jeff Cooper
    Last edited by SmokeJumper; 07-13-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: additions

My suggestions focus mainly on military stuff......unless you want some scuba diving/cave exploration reads

The Village, by Bing West. Excellent read on a USMC Combined Action Platoon and their living within a Vietnamese village. I was on edge for most of the read. It is very detailed, you feel like you know the guys, and is a metric shit ton of "oh shit....." emotions. Without a doubt one of the best books I've read, and a great piece of PME.

House to House by Staff Sergeant David Bellavia. The title explains it all, but Bellavia was awarded the Silver Star for single handedly clearing an entire house and killing 5 insurgents. Have you ever thought about what it would be like to have someone leap out of a closet and across a bed on you, only to have to chase him through the house into a room filled with proprane tanks? This is an oft forgotten account of the street fighting in Iraq. Here's a primer;

“Never in a million years would I expect something to devolve into such an animalistic fight,” Bellavia said.
    It ended when Bellavia took a Gerber knife from his belt and stuck it into the man’s collarbone.
    “He did the creepiest thing at the end of it,” Bellavia said. “He took his hand and caressed my face. It was really creeping me out because he was almost forgiving me in a sense.”

If that doesn't tip off your spidey senses, I don't imagine any book will evoke emotion for you..........

"House to House" by David Bellavia. An incredible account of an Army platoon from the 3rd ID in the battle of Fallujah in Nov '04 I think it was?

Total bad ass ass kicking by the ultimate urban warfare unit = Mech Infantry. Superb CQB skills backed by the integrated BIG GUNs from Bradleys and Abrams. Absolutely riveting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    "House to House" by David Bellavia. An incredible account of an Army platoon from the 3rd ID in the battle of Fallujah in Nov '04 I think it was?

Total bad ass ass kicking by the ultimate urban warfare unit = Mech Infantry. Superb CQB skills backed by the integrated BIG GUNs from Bradleys and Abrams. Absolutely riveting.
    Lol. The whole mech infantry/combined arms thing isn't what got me. Going hand-to-hand in a conflict thought to be almost totally devoid of actual fighting by the general public got my attention way more. More on that, not only going hand-to-hand, but using your SAPI plate as a weapon is probably the most USDA Grade A BAMFtastic form of field expediency/weapon of oppurtunity I've ever heard of. Eat your heart out, Gurkhas......

Video from the Military Channel about said incident. Caveat: Graphic recreation. Don't watch with your kids around...
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...t=0&FORM=LKVR1

Well, I can see this going off on a tangent, so I'll stop there. Good book.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-13-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Linked wrong video at first.......

The Dogs of War by Frederick Forsyth.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Into Thin Air
    Great story of a tragic Everett climb, demonstration of what some men do in the face of death
    If you like this book, you might like Anatoli Boukreev's account vs Krakauer's' account. IMHO Krakauer's version is suspect but...?

The Climb
    Paperback: 416 pages
    Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin (July 16, 1999)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 9780312206376
    ISBN-13: 978-0312206376

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Video from the Military Channel about said incident. Caveat: Graphic recreation. Don't watch with your kids around...
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...t=0&FORM=LKVR1

Well, I can see this going off on a tangent, so I'll stop there. Good book.
    Great linked video. Thanks. And btw, I confess to a bit of hyperbole about the "ultimate" urban warfare thing.

Back on topic: "Thriving on Chaos" by Tom Peters is IMO the finest business book every written.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by da6dspanburg View Post
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (Sci-Fi)

Neuromancer By William Gibson (Sci-Fi)
    Count Zero by William Gibson (Sci-Fi) - Follow on to Neuromancer
    Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson (Sci-Fi) - Conclusion? of the Neuromancer Trilogy
    Yes. Along with Stephenson's The Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Kill bin Laden
    The Mission, The Men and Me
    Not a Good Day to Die
    One Second After ( if you're into TEOTWAWKI kind of reading)
    The Only Thing Worth Dying For

We are diminished
    Holy crap. I may shut the whole damn forum down in shame.

Not a single one of you mentioned Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense. I'm far from a Cooper worshipper, but POPD has to be one of if not the defining work on fundamental self-defense for the pistol-carrier.

User Tag List