Page 189 of 233 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2330

Thread: Book Recommendations

I just finished "The Body Keeps the Score" by Bessel Van Der Kolk. I thought it was a really good read on Post Traumatic Stress in adults and children, how and why it occurs and a brief overview of treatments he has had success with as a clinician and as part of more rigorous research. As an uneducated layman I reccomend it to anyone interested in learning more about it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Mike Kupari’s new book The Family Business came out today. It’s purchased and I just started reading it. I’ve read samples and I’m looking forward to it.

“Decades ago, the Visitors descended on Earth. They claimed to bring peace and prosperity. Their real goal was the total subjugation of humankind. But humanity did not give up its only home without a fight.

After a devastating war, the Visitors were driven back to Mars. Their millions of willing human collaborators were left behind. The task of hunting down these former alien collaborators and bringing them to justice falls to Federal Recovery Agents like Nathan Foster.“
    I'll have to check that out. I picked up the 3rd book in the Dead Six series, but never got around to starting it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I've read a lot of stuff by Patrick McManus, but I didn't know that he had written some mysteries late in his career. The first one was pretty good.
    I may have to check this one out

Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    I'll have to check that out. I picked up the 3rd book in the Dead Six series, but never got around to starting it.
    Oh man you never read Alliance of Shadows? That’s a good one!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Oh man you never read Alliance of Shadows? That’s a good one!
    I'm in the middle of Breaking God's by D.J. Molles. Once I finish it, I'll go back and re-read the previous Dead Six books before starting.

Site Supporter
    I've been on a kick. Just finished Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders. I'd started reading some of his hunting stories prior to our trip West and picked it up too. Short read but interesting insights into the troopers, campaign, and conditions.

Prior to that were Craig Johnson's An Obvious Fact and Western Star, both part of his Longmire mysteries. Oh, I read the Revenant, by Michael Punke in between. Almost forgot. It was another that hit the list as part of our western vacation. It was good and I use it to take excuses from my boys, i.e. "if Hugh Glass can crawl wounded and near death 300 miles with no supplies and survive you can pick up your shoes, or eat your beans, or whatever".

Currently on my desk is SGM Kyle Lamb's Leadership from the Shadows. I picked it up after running into him. Looking to help my team find some strength and motivation through the current industry and workforce challenges brought on by Covid.

A Rifleman went to War is a pretty interesting book about a US guy who joins the Canadian Army and sniping in WWI.

Just finished Four Hours of Fury: The Untold Story of World War II's Largest Airborne Invasion and the Final Push Into Nazi Germany by James Fenelon.

The book is about Operation Varsity, it's planning and execution. Of special interest to me was the information provided about the Glider-riders and the 17th Airborne Division.

I think Fenelon is a rising star, hope to read more of his work.

A better review than I could ever write: https://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/boo...our-hours-fury
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Recent reading....

"A Savage War of Peace: Algeria 1954-1962" by Alistair Horne. A excellent history of the French war in Algeria. Reading it now, one can see a lot of lessons not learned.
    which lead me to
    "The Last Valley: Dien Bien Phu and the French defeat in Vietnam" by Martin Windrow. Another excellent history.
    which lead me to
    "Valley of Decision: The Siege of Khe Sanh" by John Prados and Ray W. Stubbe. I'm having a hard time with this one. Very detailed, but doesn't read as easily as the Windrow book.

Other stuff:
    "The Practicing Stoic: A Philosophical User's Manual" by Ward Farnsworth. An introduction to classical Stoic thought. It's interesting to see how much of what you hear in modern therapy talk ("It's not the thing, it's how you react to the thing...") was being discussed centuries ago.

"Flight of Fright" edited by Stephen King. An anthology of flying-related horror stories. Mildly entertaining fluff.

"Limbo: Blue-Collar Roots, White-Collar Dreams" by Alfred Lubrano. A look at why moving up leaves some folks feeling like they don't fit in either world.

"Draft #4: on the Writing Process" by John McPhee. Short essays on writing, with the quality you expect from McPhee. Which of course lead me to a collection of his short pieces....

Also partway through "River Horse" by William Least-Heat Moon. Fun account of trying to cross the country by water.

Site Supporter
    Layover in Dubai - Fesperman. Mild mystery thriller in Dubai. A pleasant CD when I was driving. Corruption, a good cop, American caught in a plot in the Middle East.

User Tag List