Page 188 of 235 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Has anyone read “Only cry for the Living” by Hollie McKay? I heard her on Stumpf’s podcast and thought she was fascinating. I will probably grab it at some point but I’m stacked up on existing books and magazines I need to finish first.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I've read a lot of stuff by Patrick McManus, but I didn't know that he had written some mysteries late in his career. The first one was pretty good.
    I followed him in the illustrious pages of "Field and Stream." I've never laughed as hard as reading those articles. I've gotten in trouble snickering at a McManus article I was reading during class. Maybe the fact that I couldn't express the laughter made it even funnier.
    I never did his mysteries. Sadly, I'll probably never read one.
    I pour my heart and soul into my novels and offer them at the lowest price Amazon will allow. Usually about $2.99.
    I read "The Martian" when it was available for less than $5.00 as an ebook. I will not spend more than $15.00 on the ebook version of a book of "Hail Marry." I'm not buying a name , I want a story. Frankly, I've been disappointed in the more expensive book, sold by author name, than the $2.99 books sold by independent authors. I am a Weir fan, but can't buy into the "Publishing" World" needed to be a success. I will not buy "Hail Mary," at $15.00 for the ebook version. I'd happily buy the e-version for $5.00. If he's moved past that point, then he's moved past me.
    I'll keep writing and self publishing. Decades after my death, It's possible i'll be recognized as a genius. I'll never see any profit from it. But I'll stick to my guns. Successful or not, this is my work.
    I WILL NOT pay more than $3.00 on an author name. Sell by volume on the quality of your work. (ebook) I'll never buy a book because pop culture approves of it. My experience when, I followed that trend, was less than fruitful.
    Last edited by Bigguy; 06-12-2021 at 11:04 PM.

Young Men and Fire

As one who lives in the West and is impacted by forest management and yearly wildfires on forest lands, I very much enjoyed and learned much about the ecology and mismanagement of fire on public and private lands. MacLean's son followed his father's seminal book and has written several books on famous fires similar to this one but current to today's fires, technology and environment.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I've read a lot of stuff by Patrick McManus, but I didn't know that he had written some mysteries late in his career. The first one was pretty good.
    Checked it out from the library on Saturday and finished it last night. Fun read -- his humor is sprinkled throughout.

Classic Gunfights Volume 2 Blaze Away

Blaze Away! gives an indepth look at the 25 gunfights leading up to the O.K. Corral fight and all of those going out the other side. Most books skim over the other fights to get to the big fight, but not this one. Illustrated with 236 Bob Boze Bell images created just for this project, the book also has Gus Walker’s detailed maps and Bob McCubbin’s priceless photos.

Some men talked the talk. Others walked the walk. And they met in a side yard behind a certain corral. Learn about the many gunfights that took place in Tombstone, Arizona between 1880-1882. While the famous gunfight at the O.K. Corral is certainly featured in this fascinating volume, it is only one of many deadly encounters that took place within spitting distance of Fifth and Allen Streets. Illustrated throughout with period photographs and original illustrations, this is a fascinating book on a turbulent period of Arizona’s history.

I loved the history of this book and all the illustrations done by Bob Boze Bell and all the maps. If you’re into Tombstone or not it’s highly recommended.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    Has anyone read “Only cry for the Living” by Hollie McKay? I heard her on Stumpf’s podcast and thought she was fascinating. I will probably grab it at some point but I’m stacked up on existing books and magazines I need to finish first.
    That looks like an important but difficult read.

Appreciate the heads up on the book and the podcast.

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Cry-Livi...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    That looks like an important but difficult read.

Appreciate the heads up on the book and the podcast.

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Cry-Livi...dDbGljaz10cnVl
    FWIW, I sometimes find it easier to listen to non-fiction books. There is an Audible sample and I the Narrator/Author sounded pretty good (IMHO).
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    Trying to get into The Law of Innocence by Connelly. It's a Lincoln lawyer book and I don't get the plot. Seems silly as a premise. The book also takes massive hits on Trump and Trumpists. They are irrelevant to the plot and just seem to be editorial content. I'm not a Trump fan but it's an unneeded diversion.

Some reviewers compared it to Carl Hiassen's Squeeze which also savaged Trump world. However, that book is humor and satirical - so not out of place. That was it's purpose and a fun read.

Going through some DCI Banks, they get repetitive. The latest have a plot point that is forced and cliff hanger - I don't like those. Cheap way to get you to get the next book. Seems several authors with long running series are using the personal life cliff hanger to keep devoted readers around.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Trying to get into The Law of Innocence by Connelly. It's a Lincoln lawyer book and I don't get the plot. Seems silly as a premise. The book also takes massive hits on Trump and Trumpists. They are irrelevant to the plot and just seem to be editorial content. I'm not a Trump fan but it's an unneeded diversion.

Some reviewers compared it to Carl Hiassen's Squeeze which also savaged Trump world. However, that book is humor and satirical - so not out of place. That was it's purpose and a fun read.

Going through some DCI Banks, they get repetitive. The latest have a plot point that is forced and cliff hanger - I don't like those. Cheap way to get you to get the next book. Seems several authors with long running series are using the personal life cliff hanger to keep devoted readers around.
    It also seems to me that several of the big name authors are basically rewriting the same story over and over. I caught myself doing that with the second book in my "Mud" universe. A different guy was going to blow different people for a different reason, otherwise it was the same story. I even had the same protagonist. I stopped, then turned the bad guy into "the body" and changed the book from a thriller to a mystery. 15 chapters in. Heck, I might even finish it one day.

Mike Kupari’s new book The Family Business came out today. It’s purchased and I just started reading it. I’ve read samples and I’m looking forward to it.

“Decades ago, the Visitors descended on Earth. They claimed to bring peace and prosperity. Their real goal was the total subjugation of humankind. But humanity did not give up its only home without a fight.

After a devastating war, the Visitors were driven back to Mars. Their millions of willing human collaborators were left behind. The task of hunting down these former alien collaborators and bringing them to justice falls to Federal Recovery Agents like Nathan Foster.“
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List