Page 186 of 235 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    It was recommended in author Jack Carr's monthly reading list which I subscribe to via email. Even if Carr's books aren't your thing, his reading list is quite good.
    Some of his podcasts are also pretty good. The only thing is that much like this forum, one needs to do one's best to tell oneself that one really doesn't "need stuff," if you know what I mean.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    This was a quirky and excellent book. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Only 15% in, so too early to make a formal pronouncement, but I'm enjoying a western called "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick DeWitt.

Interesting, funny, dark, violent by turns. So far, I'm glad I happened on this gem. You may be as well.

I just finished The Witch's Heart by Genevieve Gornichec, a Norse mythology novel, it was very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Up until yesterday, I considered myself a big fan of William Gibson. I really enjoyed his prose and how he uses language (similar to the way I enjoy how Tolkien used language). I loved his "Sprawl" and "Bridge" trilogies. I tried reading the "Blue Ant" trilogy when it came out, but lost interest halfway through the second book. I came back to them last month, read the first book, got halfway through the second... and finally quit. Dropped off all three books at a local Little Free Library.
    @JAD
    I must be like an abused spouse, because I read William Gibson's The Peripheral.

It was... not bad.

It was very much a return to Gibson's normal style/themes, after the steaming pile that was most of the "Blue Ant" trilogy. It's a time-travel story... sort of. The action is split between the very-near future (maybe 20-ish years from now) and the, er, less near-future (90-ish years from now). It's a thing in the further future for the super-rich there to contact the near-future, thus creating a "stub," i.e. an "alternate past" that these super-rich can then dick around with for fun without affecting their own past. There's also "peripherals", tele-presence bodies that people use for fun. Stuff happens, time-streams mix. Worth a look if you like Gibson's stuff.

Some stuff I didn't like: Gibson has a style where he doesn't do a lot of exposition, doesn't explain stuff, he let's it gradually unfold over the story and you have to pick it up from context. Normally I like the way Gibson does this, but in The Peripheral, he went a bit overboard; by the end of the book, I felt as if there were several things I still didn't understand. The book also has some plot holes, the especially large one being I still don't see why the whole plot kicked off in the first place. Lastly, I don't really like politics in my fiction (unless I'm specifically reading it for the politics), and Gibson seems to be letting his personal politics seep in more and more. I will not be reading the follow-on to The Peripheral (Agency), as Gibson stated the he scrapped the original plot after Donald Trump was elected President, as he just couldn't not respond to this happening (eyeroll) (the plot of Agency involves a "stub" where Hillary Clinton won, natch).
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    A Man Named Doll, a mystery by Jonathan Ames.

What I can't get past is that the printing in the book is so light that it seems as though the ink was severely watered down. I have to read it in daylight, reading by a lamp is just not good enough. I don't care how good a book is, none of them are worth eyestrain.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    A Man Named Doll, a mystery by Jonathan Ames.

What I can't get past is that the printing in the book is so light that it seems as though the ink was severely watered down. I have to read it in daylight, reading by a lamp is just not good enough. I don't care how good a book is, none of them are worth eyestrain.
    Well, it didn’t watch matter. It was pretty sucky.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I recently reread the first 2 books of Brandon Sanderson's 'Stormlight Archive'. It had been several years since I read them and enjoyed the reread immensely, I then devoured the 3rd book 'Oathbringer' which was amazing.

I'm now a little halfway through the 4th book 'Rythm of War'. I probably had too high of expectations going into it, but I'm thinking it needs to be retitled as 'Rythm of self-pity, self-loathing, depression, and various other melancholies as described by an amateur psychologist'.

In the previous books Sanderson did a great job of giving his characters internal struggles to battle along side the external forces set against them. These battles could be quite relatable and moving in and of themselves. Now these internal struggles take center stage as the numerous exciting and interesting developments of the plot get brushed aside in favor of self-indulgent dialogue. Characters you used to look forward to reading about now illicit groan when the POV switches to them and you're wondering what this guy is going to cry about now. Then you realize that it will be about the same thing over and over and over.

I'm just butthurt and venting, but I've loved every one of Sanderson's books so far, and this one has me racing to finish. So I can just be done with it.

I just finished A Man At Arms by Steven Pressfield. Not bad, a little unbelievable in the amount of punishment a man can take.

Site Supporter
    Blood and Ice - by Robert Masello

An interesting historical vampire story from the 1800s to modern times in Antarctica (where two sadly infected lovers are found from being thrown overboard). Keeps your interest but the ending falls apart and is rushed. I would have rather seen it played out differently. However, it is good read.

The German Invasion of Norway: April 1940
    by Geirr H. Haarr

A very readable and detailed history of the events. It's sad for the Norwegians who come across as brave but so naive and unprepared. They were living in an earlier age of violations of neutrality being important and not realizing the horror facing them. Little real preparation so some good assets were not used. Not that they would have won but it could have bloodied the Nazis more than they did.

I just finished Ocean Prey, the latest Lucas Davenport novel which also features Virgil Flowers, it was very good.

User Tag List