Page 184 of 233 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 2322

Thread: Book Recommendations

Decided to try out Audible and have been listening to the late Mike Hoare read his book Congo Mercenary which is about the fighting in 1960's Belgian Congo. It was a little difficult to get trough the introduction and first chapter or so as I suspect this was the first time the author had done something like this. I am glad I stuck with it as after a bit, he warmed to the reading and more like he was reminiscing. His unit, Five Commando were also known as the Wild Geese and likely served as inspiration for the movie of the same name for which he was a technical adviser.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

The Faithful and the Fallen series by John Gwynne.
    Got a little over halfway through the second book and won't be finishing it.

The only way the plot works is because of super convenient timing, and the absolute idiocy and sheer incompetence of the main characters. I don't know why, but I wanted to like it enough to go on to the second book. The series has rave reviews on Goodreads, but here I am, irritated, and I want my money back haha.

I did just finish the Ryria Revelations and enjoyed them as fun reads

Before that I read "A Little Hatred" and "The Trouble with Peace" by Joe Abercrombie and both those books are awesome. I'm looking forward to the release of their sequel.

I just finished “Hellhound On His Trail” by Hampton Sides and I strongly recommend it

Anything by this author is sure to be worthwhile.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

A Man at Arms - Steven Pressfield

Just wrapped up the Audible version of Steven Pressfield's latest book A Man at Arms. (ETA: Not sure what's up with the weird Kindle preview link, but hey here's a preview!)

Synopsis: Crusty ex-legionnaire merc has his philosophy evolve as he participates in the chase to intercept Paul's letter to the church at Corinth.

I enjoyed it quite a bit and burned through it quickly. It's a relatively short read/listen. If you liked Pressfield's Gates of Fire, the movie Gladiator, and the New Testament, it will probably be interesting to you. Has some Creasy Bear Man on Fire vibes. I wouldn't trust Hollywood to not screw it up with the religious connection, but if done well I think it would make a superbly entertaining movie.

Recommended!

Also, I didn't love the narrator in the audible version at first, but he grew on me quickly and his voice was right for the story. Audible version recommended specifically, if you like to be read to by gravelly-voiced old men.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Audible version recommended specifically, if you like to be read to by gravelly-voiced old men.
    And piña coladas.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    And piña coladas.
    If the piña coladas start reading to you, it's time to switch to water for a while.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnic View Post
    I just started the second. It begins a decade after the events of the 1st. With the ending I had hoped that there would actually be some sort of conflict to resolve in the sequel. However, the start doesn't leave me very optimistic. Which is a shame, as the premise is quite promising.
    I almost gave up on it, it's definitely a slow start. The first 20% of the book was a drag, but it does pick up. I'm getting close to done with it and the second half has been at least interesting.

However when the author decides to go with "animal abuse" as the leading cause of drama..
    I know you put it in quotes, but it's not really what it's about. The whole "where does sentience begin" angle is kind of interesting, but it's more than just animal abuse. Kind of like the Lobsang thing, what's "human" mean? I do like the new races discovered so far. I've also enjoyed the imagery of the Chinese mission.

Depending on how book 2 ends, I'm not sure how dedicated I am to going to book 3, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I know you put it in quotes, but it's not really what it's about. The whole "where does sentience begin" angle is kind of interesting, but it's more than just animal abuse. Kind of like the Lobsang thing, what's "human" mean? I do like the new races discovered so far. I've also enjoyed the imagery of the Chinese mission.

Depending on how book 2 ends, I'm not sure how dedicated I am to going to book 3, though.
    It was definitely a cheap shot on my part. I was a bit frustrated with the setting and characters I was fairly excited about and looking forward to getting more development (beyond "we're all middle aged now") being pretty much tossed aside.

I'll have to revisit it.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    It was definitely a cheap shot on my part. I was a bit frustrated with the setting and characters I was fairly excited about and looking forward to getting more development (beyond "we're all middle aged now") being pretty much tossed aside.

I'll have to revisit it.
    I finished it. The Beagles concept was interesting. The last 20% of the book is much better than the first 20% for sure, although I can't say much (with a few exceptions) really is an "action scene" equivalent. I don't know, it's the Seinfeld of Sci Fi? I have taken to thinking of the repeating themes as their own characters, and the named characters as components of them. Maybe like Second Person Singular, the individuals are just a demonstration of the whole and we're on it's back taking a ride? Maybe I'm just looking for more meaning then the authors put into it, but regardless I'm glad I finished the book. I think I'll take a break from the series before the 3rd one, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I finished it. The Beagles concept was interesting. The last 20% of the book is much better than the first 20% for sure, although I can't say much (with a few exceptions) really is an "action scene" equivalent. I don't know, it's the Seinfeld of Sci Fi? I have taken to thinking of the repeating themes as their own characters, and the named characters as components of them. Maybe like Second Person Singular, the individuals are just a demonstration of the whole and we're on it's back taking a ride? Maybe I'm just looking for more meaning then the authors put into it, but regardless I'm glad I finished the book. I think I'll take a break from the series before the 3rd one, though.
    I might have to give it another try. I got about three chapters into the second book and dropped it into the return chute for the library.

"Former lover shows up and chivvies the hero into leaving his family and life behind and going off with her on a new adventure."

Right, and when he steps back into that world, he gets hit with divorce papers, charging him with abandonment? Because that's how it seems to work IRL.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List