Page 183 of 233 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 2330

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Just an FYI- ABE Books and Alibris are both owned by Amazon.
    Amazing concentration of the business. Time for a trust buster?
    Reminiscent of the old SF story where about everything was managed by an offshoot of Blue Cross.
    Insure your car with Blue Wheel, get your food from Blue Plate, etc., etc.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Just an FYI- ABE Books and Alibris are both owned by Amazon. That said, they do not (as yet, anyway) seem to coordinate their pricing.

ABE has been my go-to since the early 2000s, and Alibris is growing on me, though their shipping fee structure is punishing if you only want $20-30 worth of books.
    To the best of my knowledge, Alibris is not owned by Amazon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alibris

As an inveterate Amazon hater, this means most of my online book business goes to Alibris. I hope they don't get assimilated. Options are disappearing fast.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, Alibris is not owned by Amazon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alibris

As an inveterate Amazon hater, this means most of my online book business goes to Alibris. I hope they don't get assimilated. Options are disappearing fast.
    Moylan is right; apparently Amazon is the biggest customer of Alibris; I suppose I was mistaken.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    A $775 savings! It’s crazy how much Amazon sellers want for books
    P.T. Barnum is often attributed for the quote "There's a sucker born every minute." Considering the clown show that some of this country is becoming, why not?

OTOH, I was a little surprised this morning when I noticed that Jeff Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense is now listed as a Great on Kindle book.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Here’s the reading order I saw.
    We were not that organized when we read them.:-) It is fun to see how the characters evolve.

The last few(chronologically) are not his best. He freely admitted that he was fighting with Alzheimer’s, and it shows. The ideas are there but the writing doesn’t have the same sparkle.

At his best he was brilliant.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Too bad somebody can’t get James Lee Burke and Craig Johnson to collaborate on a book. A Dave Robichaux – Walt Longmire mashup would be awesome.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Lost Boys - Faye Kellerman

Another burned out series. Flat plot, ends in two cliff hangers. The crimes are boring. The resolution of one is rather forced. The main characters are ready for a retirement home.

Fool's Paradise - a Jesse Stone book. Mildly interesting. Lots of Jesse worrying about his alcohol addiction. His sometimes girl friend Sunny from her series, still hooked on her doofus Ex. Get over it.

Both books have the cliches of law enforcement having anti hero assassin buddies. I'm sure that happens in real life. Goes along with all characters knowing the best hacker in the world.

Neither worth buying, thank you library system. Looking for the next Lucas Daveport which just came out.

New Monster Hunter International book out - Bloodlines. It’s an eARC on baen.com. Damn good book. You’ll love the cast of characters and the plot twists.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    New Monster Hunter International book out - Bloodlines. It’s an eARC on baen.com. Damn good book. You’ll love the cast of characters and the plot twists.
    Awesome! I'll wait for the Audible release but I'm much excite!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I finished the first four books of the Chivalry series. I've enjoyed them. I thought they were all out, but apparently book 5 isn't out until July 8:

https://www.amazon.com/Hawkwoods-Swo...dp/B08QHTPR1G/
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List