Page 179 of 233 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189229 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 2322

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Yep. Read the first one after the jump and stopped there.

The Corps was my favorite. I loved almost all the books he wrote by himself. Haven’t cared as much for the ones he co-authored w his son.
    The Corps is my favorite as well. Such a huge cast of intertwined characters and so many great moments.

I haven't read too much of his other stuff. I did read the entire badge of honor series, but I probably wont read it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I wish they would just stop with the Robert Parker continuations.The Everett Hitch and Virgil Cole novels are some of the best westerns ever. Robert Knott took over the series and each one has been a little bit diminished. The latest, Bucksin was a fucking train wreck. I have no idea what they were thinking letting that turd hit print. It doesn't look like there is another novel in the series scheduled, so that may be the unfortunate end.
    Stop it with all authors and their signature characters! FFS, they couldn't even write a decent Mack Bolan book after Pendleton, thank God no one tried to finish up Travis McGee. When an author dies and another author finishes their last book, I might give it a try, but I seem to recall that I've been disappointed by most, if not all, of them.

When Parker (and I'm a lifelong fanboy/Spenser wannabe) finished Chandler's final novel, I was kinda meh about it, but at least I felt like I'd completed something. My first disappointment with Parker came with his very next Spenser novel that ended the exact same way, just with different names for the characters.

I saw Parker interviewed when the Chandler book was released and he was asked who he'd like to finish his last Spenser novel under the same circumstances. Without hesitation, he enthusiastically replies, "Oh, Elmore Leonard!" And his estate picked this fucking Atkins parasite.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Probably not the kind of thing we’re generally talking about in this thread, but I got Death By Meeting yesterday and between yesterday evening and this morning finished the whole thing.

Highly recommend.
    That title brings to mind the OSS's Simple Sabotage Field Manual. Pages 28-30 have information on how to gum up meetings and organizations. I've seen this in operation when it was probably not the intent of the people doing it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Stop it with all authors and their signature characters! FFS, they couldn't even write a decent Mack Bolan book after Pendleton, thank God no one tried to finish up Travis McGee. When an author dies and another author finishes their last book, I might give it a try, but I seem to recall that I've been disappointed by most, if not all, of them.
    I read, years ago, that the heirs of John D. MacDonald were adamant that nobody was to continue on with Travis McGee.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I read, years ago, that the heirs of John D. MacDonald were adamant that nobody was to continue on with Travis McGee.
    In my twenties I was a complete Travis McGee addict. I’ve probably read every one of those books at least 5 times. Those books probably did a lot to shape my world view.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    https://www.amazon.com/Far-Feet-Will.../dp/1602392366

As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me. Someone gifted me the 1950's copy they had, and I just found out there's a reprint from 2008 so it's still easily available. The basics are a German POW escapes a Russian forced labor camp and over roughly 3 years escapes Siberia. On Amazon it's billed as similar to "Unbroken" but unless the reprint is significantly different, I don't see the connection other than being POWs. Unbroken is a much more uplifting story. I don't want to say too much more for spoiler reasons, but it's not Unbroken.

It is, however, a good story and one of those "the best of people in bad situations/the worst of people in bad situations" dichotomies over and over. There's a host of characters (real people, mind you) that are interesting and sympathetic. It's not exactly graphic, but the level of detail gives you a good idea of the hurdles and distances involved. It's one of those stories that would be dismissed as implausible were it to be fiction.

So, recommended.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    That title brings to mind the OSS's Simple Sabotage Field Manual. Pages 28-30 have information on how to gum up meetings and organizations. I've seen this in operation when it was probably not the intent of the people doing it.
    If those are the pages I'm thinking of, I had them framed on my office wall. They could be the power point slides for 'Bureaucracy 101'.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Far-Feet-Will.../dp/1602392366

As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me. Someone gifted me the 1950's copy they had, and I just found out there's a reprint from 2008 so it's still easily available. The basics are a German POW escapes a Russian forced labor camp and over roughly 3 years escapes Siberia. On Amazon it's billed as similar to "Unbroken" but unless the reprint is significantly different, I don't see the connection other than being POWs. Unbroken is a much more uplifting story. I don't want to say too much more for spoiler reasons, but it's not Unbroken.

It is, however, a good story and one of those "the best of people in bad situations/the worst of people in bad situations" dichotomies over and over. There's a host of characters (real people, mind you) that are interesting and sympathetic. It's not exactly graphic, but the level of detail gives you a good idea of the hurdles and distances involved. It's one of those stories that would be dismissed as implausible were it to be fiction.

So, recommended.
    Stephanie posted about Abe Books. They got multiple copies.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...-srp1-_-title1
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    The Corps is my favorite as well. Such a huge cast of intertwined characters and so many great moments.

I haven't read too much of his other stuff. I did read the entire badge of honor series, but I probably wont read it again.
    The series that follows the army (starting with The Lieutenants) is also very good.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    The series that follows the army (starting with The Lieutenants) is also very good.
    Brotherhood of War - I read them all, kind of jokingly refer to them as Harlequin Warstories.

The thing I liked about WEB's book is the kind of dance he did with actual history. Especially anything concerning Dugout Doug.

User Tag List