Page 169 of 233 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 2330

Thread: Book Recommendations

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TNK View Post
    The Lonely Silver Rain by John D. MacDonald. This title is the last Travis McGee novel published 1985. It is perhaps the most "libertarian" novel of the series with its rants against the War On Drugs, the societal cost of a government currency, the price of cultural decline with economic development, and the depression that often goes with growing older, being a survivor.

The plot is rather convoluted, worthy of Raymond Chandler, and the dialogue could be better, but the story gets at the heart of the corruption that was the 1980s. MacDonald has an insight into what makes people tick, and this motivation is not a good one. You are on your own.
    What saddened me when I read it was that one could see that MacDonald was laying the groundwork to take the series in a new direction. I read the book a few weeks before he died, which made his passing a little poignant.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I'm going to differ on this one. Tombstone had almost nothing about the gunfight itself. And Die in the West was a denser read, more difficult for me to get through, but it did have details on the actual event.

https://www.amazon.com/Die-West-K-Co...dp/0806128887/
    Absolutely the gun fight was almost a footnote. It was the politics, propaganda, warring media companies, etc that I found so interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    Absolutely the gun fight was almost a footnote. It was the politics, propaganda, warring media companies, etc that I found so interesting.
    Best breakdown of the fight that I've read was in Dangerous Men by Scott Ferguson with an intro by Ayoob.

The book is an analysis of several historical shootouts in the light of modern understanding of the dynamics of, and the effects of deadly force situations on the men involved.

Pretty good. I'll reread the OK corral section periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Best breakdown of the fight that I've read was in Dangerous Men by Scott Ferguson with an intro by Ayoob.

The book is an analysis of several historical shootouts in the light of modern understanding of the dynamics of, and the effects of deadly force situations on the men involved.

Pretty good. I'll reread the OK corral section periodically.
    I thought you were going to cost me money on this one but it’s read for free on Kindle.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I thought you were going to cost me money on this one but it’s read for free on Kindle.
    Dangit, I paid for mine.

This one is a definite fit for the P-F crowd...imho. I'm 80% through it. You won't be bored. Trust me.

From amazon:

A distraught businessman kills himself after a short, impolite conversation with a detective named Jules Bettinger. Because of this incident, the unkind (but decorated) policeman is forced to relocate himself and his family from Arizona to the frigid north, where he will work for an understaffed precinct in Victory, Missouri. This collapsed rustbelt city is a dying beast that devours itself and its inhabitants...and has done so for more than four decades. Its streets are covered with dead pigeons and there are seven hundred criminals for every law enforcer.

Partnered with a boorish and demoted corporal, Bettinger investigates a double homicide in which two policemen were slain and mutilated. The detective looks for answers in the fringes of the city and also in the pasts of the cops with whom he works--men who stomped on a local drug dealer until he was disabled.

Bettinger soon begins to suspect that the double homicide is not an isolated event, but a prelude to a series of cop executions...

The author is currently adapting this book into a movie for Warner Brothers; Jamie Foxx and Leonardo DiCaprio are both attached to the project.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

After this thread made me buy and read both Salt and Cod, I was irked when I found that The Basque History of the World by Kurlansky is not in Kindle format. Damnit.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm about halfway through this one but it strikes me as one that a great many P-F'ers would enjoy. (I know I am, thus far.) Guns, guts, violence, full figured women...a western with some buildup and some bite.

https://www.amazon.com/Congregation-.../dp/B01M4G7T96

I just finished it a couple days ago. Wow it’s good. It’s brutal and dark just like Wraiths. Thanks Blues
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I just finished it a couple days ago. Wow it’s good. It’s brutal and dark just like Wraiths. Thanks Blues
    @Coyotesfan97

Here you go, bro':

https://www.amazon.com/Mean-Business...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It even has an Arizona connection.

(Also, check your PMs if you get a chance)
    Last edited by blues; 01-25-2021 at 04:11 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

About 25% into this one. Outrageous book, tremendously entertaining. Sex, violence, adventure, intrigue.

https://www.amazon.com/Adventurers-H.../dp/1452045674

https://www.pdfdrive.com/the-adventu...156831858.html

Harold Robbins, a novelist known for steamy passion in his works, stirs up passion of a different kind in The Adventurers, a story of revolution and danger in the sultry jungles of South America. As a young boy, Diogenes Alejandro Xenos, witnesses the murder of his mother and sister by a band of marauders. As "Dax" grows to adulthood, he channels his fear and hatred into a desire for revolution, swearing revenge on those in power as he upsets the status quo. His actions make him an outlaw, living on the fringes of society in a land turned upside down with corruption. He is wanted by men and women alike-but for very different reasons. This epic tale of escape from the horrors of a third-world regime is one of Harold Robbins' most ambitious novels ever,

User Tag List